Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
The stranger
Registered Member

Hi guys, thanks so much for the input!

Kenneth_Moore - I hope it doesn't take that much Did this happen to you?

A Star_Ride - I'm still a little wobbly when it comes to slow speed manouvering (I'm hoping to get some extra training in April to get rid of this niggle once and for all). Would it be worse with a heavier bike?

sarnali2 - I've heard good things about the handling on the Gladius. I sat on it at a bike show a few months ago and it's a pretty nice fit. What's really annoying is that they've just unveiled a 400cc version with ABS which will be available in Japan, but not over here grrrr I'd mainly be using the bike in the city, so I take it from your reponse, the Ninja is a better choice?

pushrod - I never considered the street triple, but 167kg dry doesn't sound too bad. Definitely not 2nd bike material (price tag-wise), but will definitely keep it in mind, thanks for the heads up

I guess general concensus is to go for the ninjette then
The stranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The stranger View Post
Kenneth_Moore - I hope it doesn't take that much Did this happen to you?
Motorcycling is all fun and games until somebody loses an eye. Then you'll wish you weren't running with open scissors.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Motorcycling is all fun and games until somebody loses an eye. Then you'll wish you weren't running with open scissors.
Ah, it's not so bad..........

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
The stranger
Registered Member

You beat me to it The_AirHawk

or, even better:

DOGHOUSE | Don’t run with scissors
Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

Don't get too wrapped up in the 'weight' issue. More important is where the weight is located.

Taking two bikes with the same weight, the one with the higher center of gravity will be more stable (as in, harder to turn) at speed, but terrifying when moving slowly or at rest.

Of course, handling dynamics are nowhere near that simple. So go for the bike that suits you.

I think the little Ninja, maybe even the 500, would be your best choice now.

You really need to check out the Street Triple, though. IT's too much bike now, but later...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #16
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks so much for the input!

A Star_Ride - I'm still a little wobbly when it comes to slow speed manouvering (I'm hoping to get some extra training in April to get rid of this niggle once and for all). Would it be worse with a heavier bike?

I guess general concensus is to go for the ninjette then
At low speeds a heavier bike is going to "fall" faster, so if you've has a few "I almost droped it's", another 50-100 #'s woulda likely mean your looking for help to stand it back up.

Theres a delicate time during take-off, or stoping where you go from leaning, to actually stearing (or vise versa) that you have to get used to, seldom will you do both (just that split second transition). You are already doing this, just dont think about it, but at that moment is when I feel the bike is most nimble. Dont take your feet off the pegs unless your going slow enough to, and plan to plant them, and when "walking" the bike, make sure your in neutral, aside of the risk of dumping the clutch (and the bike) its too hard to hold it in while stearing/backing, etc. And I dont know how to say this, but keep your hips still, new riders try to lunge their body in jerky motions, and that dont help stabilize the bike at all. I hope that wasnt confusing
Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
The stranger
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks again for the tips!

pushrod - I'm assuming sport bikes have a much higher CG than say standard bikes? Once I'm ready to move on I'll definitely consider the Triumph, I'm just worried I'll have -too- many choices by that point. Better start buying lottery tickets...

A Star Ride - I find my issue leaning at slow speed is that I tend to grab the clutch instead of just use the throttle, and if I'm going really slowly I get a bit fretful about just dropping the bike. I also have to negotiate a lot of traffic to get to and from work, and I think my problem there when going slow is target fixation. Never noticed the hip thing though, I'll keep an eye out for it, but do you mean when going, stopping, cornering, etc?

I've been scoping out a few parking lots to practice in tomorrow, I definitely still have a lot to learn :/
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Don't worry about the clutch, the engine will chatter if you forget and you just have to grab it in time before the bike stalls (which you definately dont want to happen when leaning), it'll become second nature before long, also, it's a good habit to downshift with deceleration too it'll help slow you, save on brake wear and once you do stop, your closer to neutral, or first gear anyway.
The hip thing I've found is a subconscious action, like being tempted to put a foot down the first few times you go into a turn faster then you intended. If your not doing it great, its just a bad habit some have that can alter the balance of the bike during slow speed maneuvers.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
The stranger
Registered Member

Thanks again for the tops. I gave it a shot yesterday and it worked out ok, but it'll take some getting used to! I tend to avoid engine braking because some car drivers don't realise you're actually slowing down until they're breathing down your neck :/
Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Thanks again for the tops. I gave it a shot yesterday and it worked out ok, but it'll take some getting used to! I tend to avoid engine braking because some car drivers don't realise you're actually slowing down until they're breathing down your neck :/
A few gentle taps of the brake lever to activate your brake light helps a lot. Remember: YOU control the speed of the person behind you. If you're approaching a stop or turn, and have really been puttin' the spurs to it (and so has the person behind you), a "sudden" stop might not end pleasantly for the motorcyclist.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote