Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Apartment complexes are shopping centers for motorcycle thieves, likewise condos that don't have a gate. Unless you get a beater-bike, you're best off finding a 5'X10' storage space and parking your bike there. Not only is your bike safe, but it's out of the weather, which will keep it from corroding and fading.
I was gonna do that with 2 friends in same situation I'm in, woulda only cost us $18.00 each a month but I figured if I had to go out to get the bike it would turn into too much trouble to use it on short runs & I'd only get to enjoy it on a planed day trips.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I was gonna do that with 2 friends in same situation I'm in, woulda only cost us $18.00 each a month but I figured if I had to go out to get the bike it would turn into too much trouble to use it on short runs & I'd only get to enjoy it on a planed day trips.
You're right; I ride more now that I can step in the garage and get on the bike than I did when I had to go by the storage unit and get it. But, for me, it was worth it. I didn't sleep well the nights when the bike was in the parking lot.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #23
sartorius
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Apartment complexes are shopping centers for motorcycle thieves, likewise condos that don't have a gate. Unless you get a beater-bike, you're best off finding a 5'X10' storage space and parking your bike there. Not only is your bike safe, but it's out of the weather, which will keep it from corroding and fading.
Hmm. I'll keep all this in mind as spring arrives, I take the MSF class, and I make the first steps towards getting a bike. Apartment life is where I'm at for a little bit. The bike will be low end (expecting <$4000 or even lower if I can get something relatively reliable). Maybe I can pick something that makes people think it's a beater bike, or something that's otherwise not desirable to thieves?

Incidentally, I found a site (Best First Motorcycles - The Beginner Motorcycle Guide.) that recommends a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 as a starter cruiser, which is likely the style I'll prefer. I see some used ones for ~$3000 and a bit less. I haven't scoured this forum for bike recommendations, but I'm sure there are threads about it.

I'll look into a good cover when the time comes. I'll also keep an eye out for something decent to chain it to. It's funny how I never used to think of anything like that, but now it'll be important. Kind of like how I never noticed where people park their bikes at work until I paid closer attention.
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #24
A Star Ride
Registered Member

You can easily find 5-900CC bikes under $4K. Since you like the cruisers look at the Virago, Vulcans (500,800, & 900) & Yamaha makes a 600 Star. Theres alot of "middleweights" available. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #25
sartorius
Registered Member

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to see a couple of options. The more bikes that match my criteria the better the prices, and those definitely fit the bill.
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #26
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorius View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to see a couple of options. The more bikes that match my criteria the better the prices, and those definitely fit the bill.
If you like the cruiser segment, look at the Honda Shadow A.C.E. (750cc). It is Honda's passable copy of the classic American cruiser styling, and they can be had in your price range.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #27
A Star Ride
Registered Member

How did I leave out the ace??