Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
12er
Founding Member

If your helmet lock is a PITA they sell a license plate frame with dual helmet locks for about $50 at most shops. I bought one and love it as my bmw you have to take the seat off to get to the helmet hooks and then if the bags are on they aren't accessible. You can also buy helmet locks that attach to your frame depending on the bike you ride.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
If your helmet lock is a PITA they sell a license plate frame with dual helmet locks for about $50 at most shops. I bought one and love it as my bmw you have to take the seat off to get to the helmet hooks and then if the bags are on they aren't accessible. You can also buy helmet locks that attach to your frame depending on the bike you ride.
Do you have a link to that? I've never seen one of those, just the bar-end helmet locks. Not sure if those would work with the Uly.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Do you have a link to that? I've never seen one of those, just the bar-end helmet locks. Not sure if those would work with the Uly.

Google Helmet Guardian if you dont like the company below. One more key but only takes seconds and is pretty cool. The bolts have a center post so a little more secure than normal Allens.

Accessories Helmet Holders
Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Go to your local surplus store and get a set of handcuffs. You loop one around something on the bike and the other through the D-rings.

Less than $10 and chicks think guys who carry handcuffs are cool.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Go to your local surplus store and get a set of handcuffs. You loop one around something on the bike and the other through the D-rings.

Less than $10 and chicks think guys who carry handcuffs are cool.
Great Idea, handcuff the ole lady to the bike so she can watch the lids.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
sartorius
Registered Member

Holy crap, everyone! I didn't get an email notification, so I figured "Oh, people might not be looking at the forum. No big deal, I'll give it a few days.". Thanks for the welcome and for giving me so many replies already!

Okay, on to a few questions/comments:

pushrod, thanks for the reminder. I checked the sticky first because I didn't want to be a dweeb but I didn't initially find anything relevant by browsing or searching. Of course, this stuff might be there and I didn't see it. If so, my apologies. There's a LOT of info there, and I'll keep it in mind. I'm in Columbus OH right now, and I'll be here until fall 2011.

A Star Ride, assuming I go through with things and get a bike, it'll definitely be a starter to learn on and take some damage if I screw up somehow. Any dream bike is still on the other side of the horizon.

trenttheuncatchable and 12er and Buzglyd, thanks for the helmet ideas. I was hoping I'd have some kind of freedom in case I felt like stopping in a bookstore or restaurant while out on my own.

Dr_Sprocket, I can't believe it took me this long to get your first sentence! Heh. A heated jacket sounds very hopeful for when things turn cold. If my limits are ice and sub-20°F or so, that gives me a lot of wiggle room.

seruzawa and sarnali2, I'd rather hear "People steal motorcycles and motorcycle stuff." instead of "Oh, you'll be fine! [waves hand]". Preparedness is good. After all, the man who has nothing to lose has...nothing to lose, I guess.

As for parking, my apartment complex doesn't have a garage, but the area's decent. Work *does* have a garage, so it'd probably be pretty good there if I decided to ride to work.

Again, thanks everyone! I'll keep busy reading some threads. Someone has some catching up to do.

Dan
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
A Star Ride
Registered Member

If your having to park it outside, plan to get a good quaity cover (under $100.00) it'll not only keep it clean, kids cant climb on it & your paint & upholstery are more expensive to replace.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Yikes! Apartment complexes are the worst places for bike theft. Get a good chain and lock, the kind that can't be frozen by freon and cracked with a hammer, and chain the frame to a pole. If you have a sportbike do not install quick release fasteners on the fairing.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #19
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Don't chain the front wheel unless thats the only part you want to keep. But really check crime reports in your area, if it isnt a problem locally, and your not getting something terribly exotic, or custom you'll likely be fine. I dont lock mine up or the steering, but I do lock the bags. My cover dont fit as nicely with the bars turned, and have to be full bore to lock.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorius View Post
As for parking, my apartment complex doesn't have a garage, but the area's decent. Work *does* have a garage, so it'd probably be pretty good there if I decided to ride to work.

Dan
Apartment complexes are shopping centers for motorcycle thieves, likewise condos that don't have a gate. Unless you get a beater-bike, you're best off finding a 5'X10' storage space and parking your bike there. Not only is your bike safe, but it's out of the weather, which will keep it from corroding and fading.