Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
veruvius
Registered Member

Default Cold weather starting?

My bike is at my parents place, so I don't get to start it up very often, generally about 1/month. I've taught my dad how to start it, but it has sat for about 3 months (parents weren't around). I've gone back a couple times in the last month, and I can't get it to start.

The battery is on a charger, so that's not a worry. It's sitting in a garage, though it's just as cold as outside.

I know I should get rid of the gas, but I don't know how to do that sans siphoning. Mostly, how do I get this thing to start?
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

If it's too cold - you just may have to wait until the ambient temp is warmer.

While the bike may indeed run in cold temps, the engine was never really designed for it, thus some may be more finicky in cold than others.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

There should be a rubber hose from the fuel tap to the carburetors, disconnect that and put a longer hose on of the same size, place the end in a gas can and open the tap. Depending on the bike you may have to put the tap in the "prime" position and open the fuel filler. Be very careful, gas is rather flammable. Next look at the bottom side of the carburetors for a screw sticking out the side, open that and drain the float bowls. Reattach everything and fill the tank with some fresh gas and try cranking it. You may have to do the drain and flush of the fuel lines and float bowls a couple of times to get some good gas in there but it should crank sooner or later. If it still won't start pull the spark plugs out, if they're soaked with gas replace them with new. Before you install the new plugs crank the engine for a minute or two to get all the excess fuel out of the cylinders. use a compression gauge to check for compression or stick your thumb over the plug hole and see if it builds up

As long as you have a good spark at the correct time and good clean gas the bike has to start, basic physics you see.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
As long as you have a good spark at the correct time and good clean gas the bike has to start, basic physics you see.......
Unless the fuel is too cold to vapourise properly. Then, essentially you have a "no fuel condition" yet still an excess of fuel.

That's why E85 in vehicles does so poorly in Winter, and E100 would probably not start an engine at all below 25deg F.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
That's why E85 in vehicles does so poorly in Winter, and E100 would probably not start an engine at all below 25deg F.
Yeah, but think how drunk you could get on E100 at 25 below. (Better mix it with punch!)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
veruvius
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
There should be a rubber hose from the fuel tap to the carburetors, disconnect that and put a longer hose on of the same size, place the end in a gas can and open the tap. Depending on the bike you may have to put the tap in the "prime" position and open the fuel filler. Be very careful, gas is rather flammable. Next look at the bottom side of the carburetors for a screw sticking out the side, open that and drain the float bowls. Reattach everything and fill the tank with some fresh gas and try cranking it. You may have to do the drain and flush of the fuel lines and float bowls a couple of times to get some good gas in there but it should crank sooner or later. If it still won't start pull the spark plugs out, if they're soaked with gas replace them with new. Before you install the new plugs crank the engine for a minute or two to get all the excess fuel out of the cylinders. use a compression gauge to check for compression or stick your thumb over the plug hole and see if it builds up

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for Thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #7
veruvius
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Yeah, but think how drunk you could get on E100 at 25 below. (Better mix it with punch!)
mmmmmm. denatured alcoholic punch. It'll be more exciting, too, because you won't know if you can't see straight from being so drunk or because you're going blind!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruvius View Post
mmmmmm. denatured alcoholic punch. It'll be more exciting, too, because you won't know if you can't see straight from being so drunk or because you're going blind!
Grandpappy's "White Lightening"
Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
veruvius
Registered Member

Default once the bike is running...

I'll have to figure out what to wear.

I REALLY like this jacket:
Montana Jacket - British Motorcycle Gear

I understand it's not as practical as a realy touring jacket, but it just looks sooooo good. I'd love to wear that around the city sans armor.

I do in fact want to do some touring this spring, probably upstate NY. Maybe I'll just get a separate touring jacket, but that's a pricey proposition. Some of those Belstaff and Barbour jackets are pretty slick, though.

I know I'll be getting pants either way, so no worries there. But thoughts there, or on sidebags, would not be unwelcome
Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruvius View Post
I'll have to figure out what to wear.

I REALLY like this jacket:
Montana Jacket - British Motorcycle Gear

I understand it's not as practical as a realy touring jacket, but it just looks sooooo good. I'd love to wear that around the city sans armor.

I do in fact want to do some touring this spring, probably upstate NY. Maybe I'll just get a separate touring jacket, but that's a pricey proposition. Some of those Belstaff and Barbour jackets are pretty slick, though.

I know I'll be getting pants either way, so no worries there. But thoughts there, or on sidebags, would not be unwelcome
If you like the British cafe racer style, then check out the Triumph morotcycle website. They have some pretty cool gear. Of course, everything they sell says "Triumph".