Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Reb Rebeller
Registered Member

Default Question for 2nd bike

I took the course this summer and got a Rebel 250.
I've ridden about 1500 miles and now I want/ need a bigger bike.
My riding friends are helping me out by giving conflicting and probably dangerous (they love me so) advice. One is telling me I need to get a Dyna!
Reasonably speaking, is going from a 250 to an 850 too much of a jump?
I was thinking of a Bonneville.
And is weight more of an issue than cc's?

Thanks for all your help.
Reb Rebeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

This isn't exactly the best time of the year (or economic climate, for that matter!) to sell your bike. The best bike in the world is the one you're already riding, especially if it's paid for.

While the 250 isn't exactly a stellar machine by any standard, 1500 miles really isn't all that far to go before an "upgrade" of the magnitude you're contemplating.

Then again, it's really hard to make a long-distance call on someone's riding ability, especially knowing only two-paragraph's worth of information about them.

Dig deep, and ask yourself if you're both ready and capable of the step you're about to make. If there are any self-doubts, you can STILL make the switch at some future time. There's no hurry, they'll still make the Bonnie for a few more years. Now, if you wanted to step-up to a new BUELL.................
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

RR,

Seeing as your riding season is about over, I'd recommend you start 'sit-testing' all the different bikes you think you like.

1500 miles is just over the break-in period on a bike, and nowhere near the break-in for a new rider. As the 'Hawk said, don't be in a hurry.

Figure out how you are going to use the bike. Then, look for a bike that will accommodate that kind of use. For instance, if you want to go out and carve corners and blast out of stops, a cruiser ain't for you. If you want to take your sweetie out on backroads and enjoy the scenery, the latest crotch-rocket is probably not the best choice.

Weight vs. cc's? There is not an answer for that. The configuration of the engine and the purpose of the bike, combined with a plethora of other design issues, make the bike, and dictate how it performs.

You'll want to do some reading, once you start to zero in on the type of bike you're after. See what the strengths and weaknesses are of each make and model.

The Bonneville (in all its various forms) is a great bike. You won't win many drag races (if any), but it is a fine choice.

Not that I'm a Triumph-ite or anything...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

The new Bonni SE is a great bike. I'd also suggest looking at Used Kawi w650. For something more cruiser like look at the Suzuki Blvd 50 series bikes- I personally like to power cruiser looks of the M50. All of Honda's 750 Shadows a good and used bikes are easy to fine. The new Yamaha V-star 900 is pretty sweet. You can probably find a decent deal new, but wait til January to buy. By then some sales weasel will do back flips to move a bike off the floor.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Motorcycle sales are in the pits. You can probably get test rides on any number of bikes now because the dealers are bleeding. Check out a bunch of bikes and see which you like. Personally I don't think you could go wrong with an all arounder like a Bandit or a V-Strom or a Versys.

But then I'd never buy a cruiser or a race replica at this point in my life. They are just too limited in function and in actuality nor much better than an all arounder at their specialized task on public roads.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb Rebeller View Post
I took the course this summer and got a Rebel 250.
I've ridden about 1500 miles and now I want/ need a bigger bike.
My riding friends are helping me out by giving conflicting and probably dangerous (they love me so) advice. One is telling me I need to get a Dyna!
Reasonably speaking, is going from a 250 to an 850 too much of a jump?
I was thinking of a Bonneville.
And is weight more of an issue than cc's?

Thanks for all your help.
If someone is telling you to go from a Rebel to a Dyna they arent giving you very good "loving advice". The truth is you need more seat time to experience those surprise situations and 1500 miles isnt enough. To truly say you can handle a bike is only determined in those surprise situations and if you can make it out and keep it on two wheels. Then maybe you might be ready for something bigger. My guess is that you havent had to many scary moments that improve your ability. Take your time you can never stay on your first bike long enough. Remember its better to grow out of a bike than into a bike. If your bike has a 100% potential where does your ability stack up to its potential. 100% bike and even 50% ability isnt safe. Hell even when their evenly matched its still no guarantee you'll make it out of any situation. Good luck though?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
newagetwotone
Registered Member

1971 Honda CL450

newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
1971 Honda CL450

sure is purdy
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Isn't it? man i would kill for one to use on the powercuts and trails... thats if i could ride.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

The Kawasaki Ninja 650R is a nice stepping stone to a bigger bike. If you must have a cruiser bike, then consider the Honda Shadow line of bikes. If you have reasonble skills and respect for the bike, then you'll be fine.