Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Desk_Jocky
Registered Member

Default First street bike for tubby

Hi everyone. I grew up around bikes, and rode quite a bit offroad when I was younger, but never much on street bikes. I'd really like to get a bike to ride to work and I'm hoping for some feedback on what to get. I've read quite a few of the threads on advice for newbies so I know there's no shortage of sage advice in here about first bikes.

So, my first thought was a really old Honda CB250. Or maybe a 125,350, 360, 400. No bigger than a 400 though and preferably one of the smaller ones. I restored a few of them with my dad as a kid so I know them and like the style and all.

Another thought is a KLR250.

I'm personally not concerned about top speed on the smaller displacement bikes, because I dont have to ride on the freeway to work and never really need to go very fast. I'll go faster when I get comfortable in the future.

Others have been telling me that for "my size", I need a bigger bike. I'm 5'8" 190lbs right now. The implication is that I've gotten tubby, but screw them.

So, what do you think? Is a 125 or 250cc bike going to be too slow for me to go 45 or 50 mph? Should I look for one of the 350's or 400's?

Thanks guys.

Also, what are your thoughts on secondhand jackets? Is that an okay way to go for a budget conscious guy who still wants a high level of safety?
Desk_Jocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

190 isn't all that big... A 125 or 250 might seem a tiny bit slow, but who cares? You aren't going to race it or anything. 2-up might be a problem, but you shouldn't be doing that at first anyway. Go find the bike you like and buy it. Fu<k "others."
Old 10-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Triumph Bonneville.

Pick your look, be it Scrambler, America, Speedmaster or Thruxton.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you've "read quite a few of the threads on advice for newbies" then you know that you should be fine on a Ninja 250. As for secondhand m/c jackets, that's better than no jacket at all. Try to find one with CE-rated armor.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Desk_Jocky
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'm not really interested in a ninja. I'm asking about whether the older cb250's are enough bike for someone weighing 190. If they're not strong enough, then my second choice is the KLR 250 which I'm thinkin should be fine. Actually I guess the klr might even be better since I road dirt bikes so much before.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

That new Suzuki TU250 might be just the ticket.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk_Jocky View Post
Thanks guys. I'm not really interested in a ninja. I'm asking about whether the older cb250's are enough bike for someone weighing 190. If they're not strong enough, then my second choice is the KLR 250 which I'm thinkin should be fine. Actually I guess the klr might even be better since I road dirt bikes so much before.
Yeah, but with the KLR you're buying a capability you don't seem to want - offroad. Kirk's idea on the TUX 250 is a good one; it's a really nice bike at an unbelievable price. Check out Suzuki.com for that one. Any of the mid-size cruisers would be a good choice if that's your style.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Desk_Jocky
Registered Member

I do like the looks of that TU 250. But the price range is out of my budget. I was thinking of spending like 1000-1500 for a used something or other.

I should have included that in my original post. Sorry.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk_Jocky View Post
I do like the looks of that TU 250. But the price range is out of my budget. I was thinking of spending like 1000-1500 for a used something or other.

I should have included that in my original post. Sorry.
Changing the formula after the fact isn't helping. Want a great cheap bike in that price range find a 1984-1986 Yamaha Maxim 700. If there's an X version (watercooled) in that range get it. The thing that you will look for is surface rust and the shift rod in Second gear will bend under heavy load. Take it to your local Yamaha shop and ask a mechanic to run over the bike and test ride it looking for that 1st to 2nd gear shift. If it sticks in 2nd your fine. If not- pass. Another good bike would be the Honda Hawk 400. Harder to find but a cult bike if there was ever one. Chain drive, but still have a qualified wrench give you peace of mind. It's worth the $60.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Desk_Jocky
Registered Member

I'll check out those bikes you mentioned. Thanks for the insight.