Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Oh Dude, what about the acid washed jeans, big white high tops and Scorpions cassette????

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Either way they are really stupid fast for cars.

This is true.

Once I got to take a spin in an '02 Viper GTS/ACR. That was a BLAST!! Although I had to be careful, the sticker on the window said $82K. My dad was the F&I manager at a Chrysler dealer and he called me up at college one day asking if I wanted to come see it.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
12er
Founding Member

Chiming in: KLR650, pick up a decent used one for a $2500 or so and ride the wheels off of it. Crank up the preload to max on the rear shock (only 5 settings) and pick up a set of progressive fork springs and 15w fork oil if the previous owner hasnt already (about $150 or less for the springs and oil). Enjoy.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Hopefully the OP is not one of those people that come here and want us to tell them that they NEED a fullsize harley bagger or a CBR1000 because of their size.

Friend of mine was talking about buying a bike "to save gas" on his trip to work (about 30 miles each way) and he's "a big guy." he's not as big as the OP. in fact he's shorter than me, like 5'10 and 230 lbs (According to him) I'm 6'1 220... he says to me "im going to need something with some power cause of how much i weight" So we put him on the CL175..... heh, it was funny. he rode around on it some, let it stall a couple times, and said "Wow thats fast"
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member

I'd really like to pick up a late 70's targa for a runabout for my wife. She likes older small convertibles and at least the targa gives you a little security with the hardtop back on. Just have to watch the pendulum effect in the rain, that tail wagging is unnerving till you get used to it.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Oh Dude, what about the acid washed jeans, big white high tops and Scorpions cassette????
HERE I AM......... ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

On a serious note... I am 6'5" at 195lbs. I started on a Honda Nighthawk (1985 CB700SC). The Honda Nighthawk has plenty of power for a big guy like you, but not sooo terribly much to get you in trouble. My brother's first bike was also a Honda Nighthawk (1993 CB750). He is 6'2" and 165lbs.

For a person of your size, I would suggest skipping the Ninja 250 and looking for a 10-year-old-ish Japanese standard to learn on for the first two years. Commit to yourself to ride the pig for two years, and focus on enhancing your riding skills. Any "friend" who chides you for doing so is simply not a friend at all.

Good luck and let us know what you eventually decide to get!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
goldrobe
Registered Member

Talking The Monkey & The Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
In the first place anyone who recommends a "powerful" bike for a beginner is not a "friend". Some math will show that even the beginners bikes mentioned in the thread have better power to weight ratios than most cars. With even a big rider like your self a medium displacement bike like an SV650 has a power to weight ratio similar to a Porsche Targa.

You are learning several skills here. You need a bike that is easy to ride as you learn more than how to ride. You are also learning how to deal with cars drivers who are largely out to get you and know that they can get off scot free by merely saying "I didn't see him". Cops and juries always buy this lie.
I'm 6'2" 230 lbs; I'm concerned that I would look like a monkey humping a football on a SV650. I'm not joking.
goldrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
lari
Registered Member

you just said "i never" then, why don´t you try with a big scooter first(you are big too) like yamaha t-max 500 there´s a lot of power good handling,and no gears(shifting).is very smooth to ride. you get use to ride first...
am i ****ed up?
lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
newagetwotone
Registered Member

well two things about the looking like a monkey on an SV. first off, why do you care what you look like? Second off you'll look fine, I'm almost an inch shorter than you and about 10 lbs lighter. The SV650 is a full sized bike. Not some giant bloated cruiser, not something like a RS125 (tiny 2 stroke racebike.)

The best idea is to go sit on it. remember that most of the "big" sports bikes arnt all that much bigger, if your looking for a standard bike how about the Triumph Bonnieville series?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote