Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   new rider. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/12803-new-rider.html)

drummer0247 08-09-2009 09:42 PM

new rider.

In the process of going through a MSF and getting my endorsement. I will be in the market to pick up a bike in the upcoming weeks. In doing research and listening to recommendations from friends and local dealers many recommend the kawasaki er-6n as my first bike. Im not sure how true this is so that is why i am seeking as much advice as i can get. Price is not that big of a factor. What im looking for is something for a beginner, reliable, comfortable (as this will be my primary means of transportation to and from work), and somewhat aesthetically pleasing, really like the naked look. anyways any advice is good advice since this is all new to me!

pushrod 08-10-2009 07:55 AM

Drummer,

Pack a lunch, and wade through the 'New Rider' sticky. Lots of good info there.

Two big concerns for a first bike.

Is it comfortable/rideable, and is it okay to drop it.

Our advice is to buy something used, and then after you've had it for a year, move to the bike you really want.

seruzawa 08-10-2009 08:04 AM

One thing to consider is that sales people will depict a 650 as a "small" bike, good for learners, because there are so many bikes that have a lot more power than a 650. However this does not make a modern 650 twin anything less than a firebreathing beast by historical standards. For example when I learned to ride in the mid-60s there was not a bike in the world that I could buy on a showroom floor that made as much power as that Kawasaki you are considering. The Er-6 has a very smooth powerband and so is more manageable than other bikes but that doesn't mean it won't kill you in a big hurry if you get careless.

You sound like a reasonable person and you might do quite well on the Er-6. But like pushrod said check out the new rider's thread.

drummer0247 08-10-2009 09:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. I definetly have been combing what seems like every inch of the internet and the resources i have at my fingertips. Its just hard to gauge what is going to be a good first bike since i have never ridden, and there are so many strayed opinions out there. Its hard also because when i go to look at used bikes typically the interest is alot higher at local dealers, so that pushes me away from used. I have looked at many bikes though private party and there are not that many in my size nor style that have not been torn to hell. Im not sure that i want to buy a used bike with a ton of miles on it. This bike is going to be my daily back and forth to work so it must be reliable and comfortable. Of course the dealers swear up and down that the bikes they recommend are great for beginners but im not sure how truthful they are.... Im am 25, not looking to go fast, need something reliable, comfortable, something that looks nice as well, forgiving. I am partial to the naked/ standard look so any recommendations will really help me out in my search for a good bike!

Kenneth_Moore 08-10-2009 10:02 AM

Naked standard: check out the Suzuki TU 250X. It's a sweet little standard, old-school. Cheap too, under $4k OTD.

Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - TU250X - 2009 - TU250X

Used bikes, any of the smaller "cruisers" like the Honda Shadows would be good.

If I were you, I'd scan the ads and visit some bikes. Usually one will start barking and wagging it's tail at you; that's the one to take home.

drummer0247 08-10-2009 05:38 PM

thanks. just got done looking at the buell blast, ninja 250 and 500r. Salesman reccomended the Er again and i really like both the looks and feel of the bike but then again it comes down to is the 650 really to much. which of course i asked the sales guy and he seemed to be pretty straight up and he said its a 650 that rides like a 400 very forgiving and comfortable to ride. he said i would be better off in that than the 500r any thoughts?

12er 08-10-2009 06:28 PM

The ER isnt too bad a beginner bike. But still, its much mo betta to drop a cheap used bike while learning than your shiny new baby.

Kenneth_Moore 08-10-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummer0247 (Post 221334)
thanks. just got done looking at the buell blast, ninja 250 and 500r. Salesman reccomended the Er again and i really like both the looks and feel of the bike but then again it comes down to is the 650 really to much. which of course i asked the sales guy and he seemed to be pretty straight up and he said its a 650 that rides like a 400 very forgiving and comfortable to ride. he said i would be better off in that than the 500r any thoughts?

It's a great bike for a starter who has some sense and isn't intimidated by the whole motorcycle experience. If you can plant your feet and the weight feels ok, go for it. It's a damn nice bike.

trenttheuncatchable 08-10-2009 07:28 PM

The ER6N is basically the replacement for the 500R. The best thing to do is to start on a used Ninja 250 or 500. Then get the ER6N after a season of riding (you shouldn't have any trouble selling the used bike).

The ER6N is a great second bike. Decent power, fuel economy, and it's fuel injected.

isaac Parent 09-07-2009 07:30 PM

i just started riding a few months ago, and i got a used ninja 250 for my first bike. i have no regrets about it. its small so i can get both feet on and the power is very manageable. also they are fairly cheap if you can find a used one, and ive heard they keep their value well.