Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
rmorehouse2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshort View Post
MSF tells me NOT to apply rear brake in slow turns
Actually, our MSF instructor advised us to use the rear brake and a touch of throttle in "the box." Like someone posted earlier, it does take a little practice, but once you get it down it REALLY helps on slow tight turns.

What helps best, though, is turning your head and looking at where you want to go. Get that down and you'll rarely need to use the rear brake, if ever.
rmorehouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I do use the rear brake in slow, tight turns. It's a technique used by bicyclists, and I have adopted that style for motorcycling. Better not use the front in slow, tight turns or... clink... over you'll go.

The MSF people kept trying to get me to NOT use two-finger braking to modulate, but they can't break me of that one either. Full hand braking might have been required back in the day when brakes were weak. Today's brakes are so much better that one could induce a stoppie with two fingers. That's another habit picked up from bicycling.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
JustARider
Registered Member

Smooth power is very important for the very tight turns. Many bikes idle too fast for the turns and finding the elusive friction zone of the clutch to allow just the right slippage is a trick. Dragging the rear brake helps get the speed down while applying constant smooth power in the tight turns.

Counterweighting is not necessary in tight turns. It might be helpful.

Looking at your destination is very important. Practice until it is comfortable for you. Always point your chin where you want to go and you'll go there.
JustARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
River_1
Registered Member

As a noob, myself...what sort of deminsions should I get good at on the turns? so I can practice in the parking lot across the street...I'm not even streetable yet, but learning in leaps and bounds.
THANKS for the help!
River_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_1 View Post
As a noob, myself...what sort of deminsions should I get good at on the turns? so I can practice in the parking lot across the street...I'm not even streetable yet, but learning in leaps and bounds.
THANKS for the help!
A "master" at it should be able to turn-around in less than the width of 2-3 parking spaces. You won't be able to do so repeatably at first, in all likelihood.

One of our own members has a series of extremely useful instructional videos on YouTube: YouTube - CaptCrashIdaho's Channel

I believe he addresse U-turns in at least one or two of them, including parking-lot practice.

A book I've found helpful with a LOT of moto-skilz is Total Control by Lee Parks. Every serious Motorcyclist should have at least one well-worn copy of it in their library.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #16
River_1
Registered Member

Default Perfect, thanks!

I will look into that reading; many, many thanks!
River_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #17
jumbip
Banned

its really happy to see this and there r some advices to give .
I just do a mondo stop pie and 180 around so I'm pointing back the way I came dude!
keep posting to us regularly .
thank you .

nuimos

Mono stop ie..............motorcycle forum.
jumbip is offline   Reply With Quote