Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
marioreynaud
Registered Member

Default Any advise on Group Riding?

Hi all, the next comming weekend I will go with a group of 24 people to the road, I use to ride my Motorcycle alone, every time since 5 years ago. So I would like to hear from you any advise of how to behaved or what to expect. You should know that I do not like to make caravans, not even driving a car, some people drive different and the preassure to maintain within the group is something I am concerned about.

Thanks in advance
marioreynaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Take up the rear. Don't follow closely. Avoid the temptation to ride over your head.

I really don't like road riding in large groups.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

As soon as the ride starts to go really fast, take another route and go enjoy yourself. That pretty much sums up group rides.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Drink a lot of beer and rev your engine as much as you can. Weave around and go 20mph below the speed limit and block anyone who tries to pass you. Oh yeah, put an American flag on your sissybar. Don't wave back to any other riders coming the opposite way. I think that about covers it.

(Just kidding)
Old 07-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Take up the rear. Don't follow closely. Avoid the temptation to ride over your head.

I really don't like road riding in large groups.
I usually ride alone or with one other guy but when I do ride with a group, especially folks I don't know, I always pick up trail too. I've seen some pretty interesting stuff from back there.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

+1!

I usually ride trail, WAY back.

Not to advance the stereotype, but when you get a bunch of folks on cruisers in a heap- breakdowns, empty gas tanks, altercations and jettisoned parts are more the rule than the exception.

Do everything you can to convince them to ride in a stagger formation, not more than maybe six bikes in a pack. That allows faster cars to get around y'all. The pinheads that ride two-abreast on a highway are just waiting to get tangled.

Best bet is to call in sick, and meet them wherever you are going. You will almost certainly make better time alone.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
SmokeU
Registered Member

Ummm....don't.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

The Leader of the Pack should just run right down the middle of the center-line, with everybody else spread out in a sloppy "Flying Vee" formation behind him.

Any crazies that get a bit too-much Meth in 'em should feel-free to do ridiculous, dangerous stunts at random, inappropriate times to entertain everybody else in the group.

If you should discover a "Pig" in your midst, you should kick the shyte out of him and then toss his silly arse back to his Pig-buddies and laugh at them all stupidly when they all show up with guns to back him up.

After you've gotten the Confidence of the Leader, only THEN can you turn in your Evidence - but not until after they maliciously shoot an Asian Woman in a convenience-store robbery............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
marioreynaud
Registered Member

Thanks for your thought, it is about the same thing I thought. New experience, let´s see. I will let you know how was it!
marioreynaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioreynaud View Post
Thanks for your thought, it is about the same thing I thought. New experience, let´s see. I will let you know how was it!
The best thing that can happen is if the group has a Road Captain, or someone who's willing to do the job. That person sets the rules, explains how to handle spacing, passing, entries and exits, route, hand signals, etc. It can be grating for most riders as we tend to be independant by nature, but if you're going to group ride, it's a must. If somebody doesn't step up and discuss these topics before you leave, either raise the issues yourself or don't go. I almost got killed in a group ride when 1 bike started breaking down on I-95...the whole group slowed to under 40 mph in 80 mph traffic. Me and my friends bailed at the next exit.