Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #31
River_1
Registered Member

Gentlemen, gentlemen...let me remind you that the reduced front and rear travel on the BMW G650GS is a more 'road-oriented' approach to cycle engineering, not to mention the built-in factory warranty and notably acceptable resale value, and if you want a bike will that do nearly anything, anytime, anywhere...well, buy a freakin' CANNONDALE and LEARN to live life at a slightly more "awe-inspiring" pace.

"There's my two cents. Choke on 'em."
River_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #32
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_1 View Post
Gentlemen, gentlemen...let me remind you that the reduced front and rear travel on the BMW G650GS is a more 'road-oriented' approach to cycle engineering, not to mention the built-in factory warranty and notably acceptable resale value, and if you want a bike will that do nearly anything, anytime, anywhere...well, buy a freakin' CANNONDALE and LEARN to live life at a slightly more "awe-inspiring" pace.

"There's my two cents. Choke on 'em."

Umm...Every new bike sold has a "built in factory warrantee." The only thing is when a GS grenades its rear end I'd have to go how many hundred miles to a dealer? There's always a local Japanese dealer, or even HD/Buell dealer. Since we're on the subject, I'd take a Ulysses over a GS in a heartbeat.

So your last statement negates anything you previously said about the GS's off-road worthiness. Sounds to me like you've got BMW on the brain and can't accept anything less than overpriced German engineering. And exploding rear ends. and crappy EFI. and funky electric brakes. and overweight offroaders. and until very recently somewhat gutlessness. and...and...
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
but its not worth that much more of the KLR? is it? can you give me some quantitative data that says there is a reason it is a better bike? "German quality" is not an answer to that question by the way.

Also take a look at the intended purpose of both bikes, to be dual sports, on road off road bikes, any reason the GS does better than the KLR?
Well, maybe only because so many people still believe the myth of German superiority that they will pay extra bucks for poor performing overweight bikes. This helps at resale time. But as far as day to day reliability goes BMW is no better or worse then any other brand. Except for the exploding rear hub thingie. That sort of torpedoes the myth of BMW superiority.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #34
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The "Legendary Motorcycles of Jeemany" thing was built on the airheads which actually weren't overly reliable either and some squareheads wet dream. They're decent enough bikes but I'd take a Buelly Ully anyday too

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #35
River_1
Registered Member

Default Don't get me wrong...

I personally like the rumble of V-twins or inline-4's, but I've learned to love nearly all things that traverse our great nation on two wheels.

GO Speed Racer, GO Speed Racer, GO Speed Racer, GOOOoooooo!!! LMAO

"There's my two cents, choke on 'em."
Old 07-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #36
pplassm
Founding Member

If every bike out there was subjected to the anal-rententive scrutiny of the average BMW owner, they'd all last 200K miles.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #37
River_1
Registered Member

Hobbiest-extraordinaires? LOL
Old 07-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #38
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_1 View Post
Hobbiest-extraordinaires? LOL

That's a good one LOL

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #39
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well, maybe only because so many people still believe the myth of German superiority that they will pay extra bucks for poor performing overweight bikes. This helps at resale time. But as far as day to day reliability goes BMW is no better or worse then any other brand. Except for the exploding rear hub thingie. That sort of torpedoes the myth of BMW superiority.
It's not about quality of engineering, features and benefits, or any objective thinking. BMW ownership is about status and identity. There is a perceived increase in status by the purchaser, and a sense of identity in belonging to the "elite class of BMW riders/owners." It works for BMW, it works for HD, it works for a lot of companies who have managed to differentiate themselves as being superior.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #40
River_1
Registered Member

So it's sorta like the 'arian' thing all over again, huh? he he he he