Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Any advise on Group Riding? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/12409-any-advise-group-riding.html)

sarnali2 07-06-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 218108)
The guy on the Pan was pissed because the 60wt you dumped on him didn't match the 70wt that his Pan dumped on him daily.

The POS '48 had 10 over pistons and 40 over jugs, you could run gear oil in there and barely build up any compression.

River_1 07-21-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 218110)
I'm not a fan of the GS either. I can think of a LOT of bikes I'd have before one of them.

WHAT'S SO TERRIBLE ABOUT BMW'S GS LINE? SHEESH.

River_1 07-21-2009 12:19 PM

I say ride on, but don't forget to follow the rider in your group who chews tobbacco...and has hay fever.

newagetwotone 07-21-2009 01:49 PM

The GS? idk lots of people think they're very over priced considering what you can get for the same $$$

River_1 07-21-2009 03:02 PM

You get what you pay for...

With the built-in factory warranty and 'capability' that is legendary about the GS, I feel that the whole line is a bit of a bargain for someone who needs a commuter/backside/gas pump friendly bike with more than suffient power. Sporting a 50+ mpg claim and "naked"/ds insurance classification.... I would say these bikes would be user friendly, too.
I don't want to seem too biased, so I can WILL that the 'Suzique' Versys (spelling?...like I care) is similar in price and performance to the F650GS, HOWEVER... the small amount of savings at the dealership will only equate to a lack of resale value (and pride-of-ownership).

"There's my two cents, choke on 'em."

Kenneth_Moore 07-21-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by River_1 (Post 219407)
(and pride-of-ownership).

You just hit the BMW nail on the head. Not that there's anything wrong with that. HD built a nice couple of decades on the same idea.

newagetwotone 07-21-2009 03:36 PM

For what you pay for a G650GS at $7670 you get a KLR for what? $2k less? Dont get me wrong, i like G650 Xcountry alot, but is $2k worth that pride?

River_1 07-21-2009 03:42 PM

Boxers and thumpers...isn't that a little like apples and oranges?

I would agree that the KLR series is mighty in the 'value' dept., HOWEVER...if you're even going to consider throwing your leg over a GS line bike, VALUE isn't the highest priority on your make-or-break the deal list, is it?
What's in a name, you may be musing...money and heritage and so on and so on. I'm just saying that there's nothing at all wrong with a bike that's worth every penny of the MSRP.

newagetwotone 07-21-2009 04:40 PM

but its not worth that much more of the KLR? is it? can you give me some quantitative data that says there is a reason it is a better bike? "German quality" is not an answer to that question by the way.

Also take a look at the intended purpose of both bikes, to be dual sports, on road off road bikes, any reason the GS does better than the KLR?

Kenneth_Moore 07-21-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by River_1 (Post 219411)
VALUE isn't the highest priority on your make-or-break the deal list, is it?

You're right, we all make choices based on a lot more than just what is the cheapest purchase that can fill the need. It comes down to where you draw the line as to how important intangible value is to you. If a GS is worth half again as much to a poser who suits up in his Darien gear to ride to the park on Sunday on a bike that's got a 60 y/o engine design and produces 75% the power of a VStrom, I say: ENJOY! Usually as I pass them on SR 27.