Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   3 month update (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/12397-3-month-update.html)

pushrod 07-01-2009 07:47 AM

If the gas in your tank is more than 3 months old, it is very likely 'skunked', to use a brewers term. Today's formulations are apparently less stable than in years past. And three months was a long time for them.

That is, if you didn't put the bike away with some sort of fuel stabilizer (like Sta-Bil).

DO NOT START THE BIKE IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE BAD FUEL!

As soon as you do, any deposits in the carb bowl will get sucked up into the ports and will likely clog them. That means a full round of carb cleaning.

If you left it with less than a full tank, it may have also collected water. This is more of a problem where the temperature fluctuates greatly night to day.

If you pop the cap and the fuel smells 'sour' (some say it has a weird, candy smell), the fuel is best drained out and used in an old mower or as fodder for a prize-winning video.

Drain the fuel from both the tank and the carb bowls.

Put half a can of SeaFoam or Chevron Techron in the tank when you fill it with fresh Plus ('Regular' can be poor, and very few bikes need Premium) fuel.

Then go ride!

You should be fine...

veruvius 08-01-2009 12:03 PM

and finally...

So i went home last weekend, got a new battery and charged it, and tried to fire it up. No dice. Long story short, I was so frustrated I gave up and told the dealership to come get it and make it work (blown fuses, how'd I not think of that?!?).

Came down again last night, and went to the shop this morning. IT WORKS! However, there seems to be a general level of incompetence over there, so I still have to go back in a couple weekends for something, but I rode it home just now! My first open rode ride, and I took it out on the major road (only way to get home). It felt utterly natural. No worries, just a wide open smile (but responsibly open throttle :p ).

I plan on riding all day today. My next task is to possibly change the muffler. Right now, there's a shorty Two Brothers on it, which is loud normally, but deafening with the throttle open. My parents followed me home and were pleasantly surprised at the noise level when not revving it.

I really don't want to spend anymore money on this. The shop has a tip they can add on to the exhaust to cut 2-3 db.At first I thought it was a joke with how loud the bike was, but in normal use, that might be perfect. They also suggested putting a little steel wool in. Anymore words of wisdom?

P.S. I loved being waved at by my fellow bikers now! I feel like I belong! :D

seruzawa 08-01-2009 01:26 PM

I've used those copper pads called "chore girl" that you can get at the grocery store in mufflers before. They don't compress as easily as steel wool.

mugwump58 08-01-2009 06:50 PM

If you haven't gotten your boots yet

I happen to notice that newenough.com has some really nice boots at wicked low prices right now. Unfortuanately all of the size 45 Effex's are gone.