Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Noob gear question (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/12369-noob-gear-question.html)

phantagarow 06-26-2009 12:58 PM

Noob gear question

I will be taking my MSF in August and they won't let me ride without a gear. (Good point, right).

What would be a good setup ( I browsed online stores but I don't know the brands and the models), read most bang for the buck, if money is not an issue.

My name isn't William Gates but I would rather pay the store than the hospital.

Kenneth_Moore 06-26-2009 01:15 PM

If you have a Cycle Gear store in town or nearby, go there and see what they have that you like and can afford. Basically you'll want some boots (they don't have to be motorcycle boots, but should be heavy duty) heavy pants (Levi's don't cut it, but they're better than shorts) and a jacket. The jacket can go from $60 to $600, but a decent summer mesh jacket with armor will cost about $80.

No Cycle Gear? Visit some bike dealerships and see what you like, then shop on the internet so you can get a decent price.

longride 06-26-2009 01:19 PM

Tourmaster is good stuff. It works and it's cheap.

trenttheuncatchable 06-26-2009 01:27 PM

The MSF course I took required over-the-ankle footwear (boots), gloves, and long-sleeve shirts. They provided the helmets. Not sure what the exact requirements are according to your school.

Once you're past the course you'll want to get some good gear. I get most of mine from sandhillspowersports and motorcyclesuperstore.

A good setup includes a full-face helmet, motorcycle jacket, motorcycle gloves, motorcycle pants, and motorcycle boots. Look for gear that has CE-rated armor. Skimp at your peril. A couple of days ago I was riding at 35 mph a couple of car lengths behind a Civic, and it kicked up a rock that banged hard off my face-shield. Sure glad I was wearing my lid!

marioreynaud 06-27-2009 04:01 AM

I start with motorcycles about 5 years ago, and getting stuff for riding began from very cheap things to the right things (that are no so cheap) If I were you, I will spend wisely instead of often. A very good Helmet (bones could be broken, but your head?) I just bought a Schuberth C3, wonderful helmet, after 2 Caberg Justissimo and another Brazilian almost without a brand (that was the very first one), then gloves and boots, I did not know at the begining but with the experience riding and had had a couple of stones and cold hitted my hands, leather gloves became the right solution, my boots are Red Wings, great boots, not for motorcycling but works great, and for the Pants and Jacket, get what is confortable for you. I bought first Tourmaster gear (cheap and work fine, but very hot) and then I got Pants and Jacket from BMW, very expensive, but promised to last for a decent period of time.
Ride Safe!

pushrod 06-27-2009 11:53 AM

Scorpion helmet, if the shape matches your melon

Joe Rocket Alter Ego mesh convertible jacket.

If it's not too hot to wear armored pants, I like JR pants, too.

Like running shoes, buy the 'old' version of the JR's; they are much cheaper.

Walmart non-steel toe hiking boots, at least 'chukka' style to cover the ankles.

Good cowhide work gloves, preferably with cinch wrists.

You can upgrade the items later, when you determine what you like and don't.

Good Luck!