Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Chain vs Belt vs Shaft (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/12343-chain-vs-belt-vs-shaft.html)

sarnali2 06-25-2009 01:11 PM

The biggest advantage to a chain is you can change the sprocket size to alter the final drive ratio. Handy on a race bike but not really nessecery on a street bike. As Seru said modern x ring chains are virtually maintenance free so that's a moot point. They're cheapest and easiest to replace....

Shaft drives are fine but require some oil changes and when they fail it's an expensive fix, belt drives can break or be damaged and are also expensive but not like a shaft,

all have their advantages and disadvantages, I wouldn't let them effect my purchase desicion

MOKE1K 06-25-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 217046)
Heck, that's hardly true any more. I put a new bikemaster x-ring chain on the Zrex 6K ago and I haven't had to do anything to it yet.

You must be puttin around on that thing like an old lady if you havent had to atleast adjust it yet after 6k miles? usually a chain drive x-ring or not will seat in after 600 miles and you'll need to adjust it.

Kenneth_Moore 06-25-2009 01:34 PM

So these "X" chains are the shizit? I'm thinking the DL needs one; it's got 20k on it now. Plus I want a shiny gold one like the Busa Boyz have.

seruzawa 06-25-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 217157)
You must be puttin around on that thing like an old lady if you havent had to atleast adjust it yet after 6k miles? usually a chain drive x-ring or not will seat in after 600 miles and you'll need to adjust it.

The UHP says otherwise.

MOKE1K 06-25-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 217165)
The UHP says otherwise.

UHP, Why listen to UHP cant you tell on your own?

Kenneth_Moore 06-25-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 217169)
UHP, Why listen to UHP cant you tell on your own?

Utah Highway Patrol's new Motorcycle Chain Inspection Program uses state of the art, lazer-based chain tension measurements to establish the sag far closer than anyone could ever achieve by themselves. The amazing part is that they can do this from their car at highway speeds!

The_AirHawk 06-25-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 217157)

I typically get 25K-28K out of a sealed chain, and adjust as necessary every 10K or so. Granted, it might be possible that as a general rule the chains on my bikes are "too loose". But I LIKE 'em Loose.........

phantagarow 06-25-2009 05:27 PM

What happens when the chain sags?

tripleripple 06-25-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 217152)
Belt= Best of both worlds, very little maintenance most direct power.

What Moke is trying to say is, you should get a Buell.
Snicker.

sarnali2 06-25-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantagarow (Post 217193)
What happens when the chain sags?

well, they don't look as nice as firm and tasty fresh ones......(.)(.)