Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
brianofgi
Registered Member

Default my experiance

Well, heres my story, hope it will be interesting and what not. if you dont like to read just skip to the end, there are pictures!

Right, so i got myself a sexy 1993 black ex250 ninja for a grand. my roommate took me out and showed me the basics of riding. I rode it home after an hour or so of practicing in a parking lot and driving through the windy collage campus roads. it was awesome, i love riding motorcycles.

Right so, that was day one owning my 250 ninja.
day 2... all i can think about all day at work is getting home so i can ride my bike. my roommate comes home right after i do, i demand he take me riding because i don't quite feel 100% that i can take it on the streets alone. we go riding he teaches me how to take corners looking where your going to go instead of where you don't want to go, how to do stop signs all that bs. In short, had a Fing blast driving to a restaurant. we get home safe and sound parked my bike head up to bed.

day 3, my roommate doesn't get home till late and his gf **** blocks me from getting another ride in, so i just say to myself "hey, i can do this all on my own just as well as with him." so i do, went about 5 miles hung out with a friend, rode back. 80 mph on a bike feels so much faster on a bike then in a car btw...

day 4. me, my roommate and his gf are gonna go to taco bell for something to eat. I hop on my bike he and his gf get on his. we head on out. We come to a real fun looking curve hes in front and guns it around the S bend, I do my best to follow but I'm still not 100% comfortable taking turns at any real speed so he loses me. I start to take the turn but for some reason my bike wouldn't turn... this worry's me because i can see the curb coming right at me, so I lean some more... same story... so I just keep on leaning and I give it a bit of gas hoping that maybe ill break traction and fishtail or something (idk, I'm new at this). anyhow I leaned it till I was knee to the pavement going 35-40 and my bike slid out from under me and I think we both hit the curb at about the same time. Loads of fun flying through the air just kinda hoping your not going to die. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure my bike is totaled, my roommate says the handlebars came off. I lucked out and only got scrapes, nothing broken, but its not exactly fun having doctors (even hot ones) wash open wounds with soap and what I'm half sure must have been sandpaper.

TL;DR 250 ninja, 35-40 mph, wearing t shirt jeans and a helmet. laid it down on a turn. Moral of the story, buy yourself a nice jacket and the Kevlar jeans if at all possible.
pics are kinda graphic so you can click the last link if you want to see them. worst part is now i have to go out and buy a new bike ;_;

pics of me after first change of bandages damned accidnet

Last edited by brianofgi : 06-21-2009 at 09:32 PM.
brianofgi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Did your roomie not warn you that falling-down on pavement without some kind of protective clothing is something akin to wiping your arse with a cheesegrater?

That's a mistake you'll only have to learn once, one can hope.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

mmmmm, cheesegratter ass...

Ever seen the movie Accepted? Lewis Black has a great rant in it about his ass being hamburger meat...
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
brianofgi
Registered Member

heh, yeah, he warned me but i only got a bike because I'm flat broke and my car decided to kill itself again so gear wasn't really an option till Monday or 2 days after this happened.
brianofgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

Bummer, Brian. ''LOL WUT".

You are young and you will heal. Wear better clothing next time. Chicks dig scars.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Moral of the story, buy yourself a nice jacket and the Kevlar jeans if at all possible."

That isn't really the 'moral of the story'. Maybe taking some riding classes and not riding way over your head might be a substitute. A 'nice jacket and Kevlar jeans' ain't shyt if you actually hit something stationary next time. Moral of the story: Learn how to ride.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Brianofgi,

+1 to Longride's post.

Gear won't protect you from stupid. You're lucky you aren't a cabbage now. Helmet or not.

You were riding WAY over your ability, and physics punished you for it.

If you get another bike, maybe you'll have learned the first lesson in biking:

DON'T listen to your squid friends!

And the first corollary: Ride your own ride! Trying to keep up with somebody is almost sure to end badly.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

I can't see your front tire but your rear one is obviously shot.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
xTorvos
Registered Member

Default Huh?

How can you say that he was riding way over his head and listening to squid friends? That has nothing to do with why he crashed...

I was the one teaching him how to ride. I've only been riding since last October, but I've put about 4k miles on the bike and taken the BRC and ERC. I don't stunt and I've had my fare share of close calls; I don't think I would consider myself a squid... I also don't think that riding 35-40 in a 30MPH zone is considered "way over his head" that's fast enough to barely initiate lean on the turn that we were taking. I took it at about 50 and did it just fine.

The issue, if you would look at the pictures, was the tires on his bike. They are eroded COMPLETELY FLAT by the previous owner. He only had the bike for 3 days and had plans to spend $400 on tires and gear two days after the accident--get off your high horse and give him a break.

If he had better tires this wouldn't have happened.
xTorvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

xTorvos -

If his 'expert' friend had told him to stay off the bike because his tires were shot, he'd be a lot less messed up, and would still have a rideable bike.

And, if he failed to negotiate a posted 30 mph corner at what you say was 35 - 40, I'll say it again, he was WAY over his head.

And, you're the one who took off in a 'S' bend while he was behind you. What would you expect a newb to do, other than try to keep up?

Nice job! You could've killed the guy.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote