Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #31
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The bottom line imo is, get ride of the bike its too big for you even if you are flat footed. This is not a car you need experience first. And dont fall for the line

"Just get the biggest one the first time cause you dont want to be buying a starter bike then have to buy another one later".

I see this at my Dealership constantly. Older riders getting back into it and thinking they can just buy one bike. Usually the biggest one they can find. If youve been out of it for a long time theirs a ton of technology besides the weight that you'll have to learn all over again. Be smart and sell it and get something smaller. The small bikes of today are much faster than the bigger bikes of past years. Its more important to stay alive imo than how getting a smaller one first will effect your finances. Good luck. Oh by the way 800miles home???? Why did you purchase it so far from home?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #32
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Your salesman should be shot, first off.
If he's commission, I would have done the same thing. Finding the "perfect bike" for somebody is a pretty lofty standard when you're trying to buy groceries.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #33
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If he's commission, I would have done the same thing. Finding the "perfect bike" for somebody is a pretty lofty standard when you're trying to buy groceries.
Were all commission, all you have to do is care. Besides once he figures out its too big he'll never go back. It's not that hard really.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 07-17-2009 at 08:16 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #34
River_1
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Can-Am with a trailer? HHHhhmmmm...I just can't wrap my head around that one. (hideous and busy aesthetics). Enjoy! he he he, *shaking head, chuckling*

Last edited by River_1 : 07-21-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: grammar edit...oops
River_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #35
Neal
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowar3 View Post
I recently purchased a 850 lb. Honda VTX 1800. On the 800 mile ride back from the dealer, I fell over 6 times (while stationary or almost stationary). I then found that I couldn't lift the bike back up (even though I weigh an athletic 250 lbs.)

I guess I need a different bike. Suggestions? I'm mainly interested in touring/camping while towing a trailer.
Yeah....at the age of 57 and having ridden all my adult life , my aches and pains are starting to affect my ability to handle my beloved Electra Glide. i can empathize (sp?). If towing a trailer is a priority, you might want to contact Lehman and see if they make a trike kit for the VTX 1800. If this aint your cuppa tea, there are several midsize cruisers on the market that are lighter,smaller but can still carry a small trailer. AVTX 1300 might fit the bill...i believe there are some 900 cc cruisers on the market that fit the bill. Dont get discouraged,there's a bike for you, but i think with the VTX1800 you bit off more than you can chew.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #36
pushrod
Founding Member

Well, apparently he didn't like what we had to say!

Two posts and he's gone!

Maybe he is trapped under the bike! Oh no!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #37
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Seems like lots of people come around just feel good about choices they've already made. as to the uglyness of the spyder trailer or not, it makes alot of sense for a lot of people. I personally havnt be able to ride for a while due to lower back pain and an uneven pelvis (probably from a trail riding accident) Its difficult for me to even balance on a bike (motorized or not) due my pelvis. The drs arnt sure they can fix it, so if i do get the chance to get on something again, it might be something like a spyder.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #38
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Just getcherself one O' these, and you won't have to worry about riding the bike.........

Video: Flossie the robot can 'ride' a motorcycle, remains oblivious to good oral hygiene
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #39
korie
Registered Member

an athletic 250lb guy that is 70 yrs old? damn. i would believe that he is just trying to feel good about being that heavy at his age by saying he is athletic at all.

and after 39 years of not being on a motorcycle and starting all over again with that large of a bike is idiocy. i used to skateboard all of the time many years ago. last thing i would do at 37 years of age is jump on a skateboard and get right into a halfpipe.

i would say after even 10 years away a person should start off slow and work your way back up. it will go faster than what i will be going through being i am just starting off, but times change us as well as technology changes the bikes. bikes are way different an we are not stronger as we get older all that often.
korie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #40
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Yea, 39 years off of 2 wheels = start over with a 250/500 regardless of your pride... I know lots of people that wouldnt, I'm sure my dad wouldnt get on a small bike after riding through his youth, he's 46 and not been on a bike regularly since he was 18 and not at all in the last 12 years but he insists on buy a big bike..... still arguing with him about that.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote