Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Help, I've fallen and can't get up! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/12266-help-ive-fallen-cant-get-up.html)

seruzawa 06-18-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manowar3 (Post 216520)
I'm 70 yrs old and haven't had a bike since 1970 when I had a new 750 cc, 4 cylinder Honda. Then, it was one of the biggest bikes made. But during the intervening 39 years, these monster bikes have appeared, and I was hoping that this forum might offer some tips on how to control them. Perhaps some of you might comment on the quality of wit demonstrated in some of the above replies. Do you want a forum dominated by 12 year olds?

Most of the answers you got contain tips on how to control the bike. Whaddya want for free?

Simple:

Keep it as close to vertical as possible.

Wear good boots with cleated soles.

Do not stop on gravel or sand.

If it's too heavy for you then trade it for something you can handle.

Tell Buzglyd to GFH. We all do.

longride 06-18-2009 08:26 AM

"Oh, and another thing. The 12 year old is the Forum Moderator."

One that knows more about motorcycles than anyone I ever met.

JustARider 07-15-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manowar3 (Post 216520)
I'm 70 yrs old and haven't had a bike since 1970 ... I was hoping that this forum might offer some tips on how to control them.

This is the wrong bike for you at this time. Get a bike you can handle, get very good on it, then try a bigger bike. You don't state your physical condition nor your size. Both matter. You might start on a 650, or maybe even a 250, then the 650, then maybe something a size below your present bike, then the one you have now. There are no tips or shortcuts. Get very good and have fun on a bike you can handle, and don't count on bike camping until your skills are ready for that.

acecycleins 07-15-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustARider (Post 218798)
This is the wrong bike for you at this time. Get a bike you can handle, get very good on it, then try a bigger bike. You don't state your physical condition nor your size. Both matter. You might start on a 650, or maybe even a 250, then the 650, then maybe something a size below your present bike, then the one you have now. There are no tips or shortcuts. Get very good and have fun on a bike you can handle, and don't count on bike camping until your skills are ready for that.

Hi KP. LR missed you.

newagetwotone 07-15-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustARider (Post 218798)

cake and pie!

Kenneth_Moore 07-16-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 216522)
the only answer is:

Practice, man, practice.

Correct a moon dough.

"Seat time" is what they call it in car racing circles. The best racers have the most seat time. The more years you can manage to ride without killing yourself, the better rider you'll be. Except Mike the HD Dude. He just gets worse. Guess there's an exception to every rule.

seruzawa 07-16-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 218799)
Hi KP. LR missed you.

Not a Seattle IP. Let's not jump to conclusions here.

The_AirHawk 07-16-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 218877)
Not a Seattle IP. Let's not jump to conclusions here.

And I'd just gotten my Mat ready, Dammit!

MOKE1K 07-17-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manowar3 (Post 216314)
I recently purchased a 850 lb. Honda VTX 1800. On the 800 mile ride back from the dealer, I fell over 6 times (while stationary or almost stationary). I then found that I couldn't lift the bike back up (even though I weigh an athletic 250 lbs.)

I guess I need a different bike. Suggestions? I'm mainly interested in touring/camping while towing a trailer.

Your salesman should be shot, first off.

MOKE1K 07-17-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 216376)
ok so why is there nothing that can haul a trailer smaller than an 1800cc cruiser?! im assuming hes talking about one of the small trailers they sell for bikes, (fiances dad wants one for his goldwing) If hes talking about full sized then i can understand...

Ok so options, have you thought about a trike or a hack(Sidecar)? While they are NOT the end all and yes it is possible to dump them (to hard into a corner. You\'re less likely to dump them. You can get a trike kit for your VTX1800 and someone even sells a front end trike which are safer but dont offer the trunk space some "normal trikes" do.

The other idea is to look at the Can-Am spyder.

That has a corbin custom seat, saddle bags and a top case/trunk on it, AND it has a rather large trunk between the front wheels. Its got plenty of space. Like that im sure it has more room than a goldwing.

GREAT IDEA! And guess what? They actually have a ball and hitch you can add. Check out the corbin web site.