Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

1. There's a reason you drop a bike once (unfamiliar with bike's center of gravity). You shouldn't drop it again, unless there's a different reason for the drop (loose gravel on the road that you didn't see). But six times?!

2. There's a specific method to picking up bikes, but the best method is the buddy method (get a buddy to help you pick up the bike).

3. If you have a problem keeping a VTX1800 upright, there's no other good options for a bike that tours and hauls a trailer.

So, get some experience riding a smaller bike first. Or, like the others said, forget about it and just drive a car.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Get some big Harley cop bike crash bars, and put a couple shopping cart wheels on 'em. And when you go over next time, all you'll do is go around in circles. Then after you can slow it down some, you can use a JATO bottle to right yourself. There are always answers with technology.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

How does the bike fit you? Do your feel plant firmly on the ground? Do your legs splay out too far? Bikes can be very deceptive as far as balance goes. You may have no trouble leaning the bike 5 degrees to the side but be unable to hold it up when it's leaned over 7 degrees. It'd be better to practice on a smaller bike first, but if you insist on riding the VTX1800 then you should go to a clean parking lot (no loose gravel) and practice parking lot maneuvers with a friend helping until you can master the weight. Make sure you have good boots with cleated soles. Those bikes are heavy enough to be intimidating to very experienced riders.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
newagetwotone
Registered Member

ok so why is there nothing that can haul a trailer smaller than an 1800cc cruiser?! im assuming hes talking about one of the small trailers they sell for bikes, (fiances dad wants one for his goldwing) If hes talking about full sized then i can understand...

Ok so options, have you thought about a trike or a hack(Sidecar)? While they are NOT the end all and yes it is possible to dump them (to hard into a corner. You're less likely to dump them. You can get a trike kit for your VTX1800 and someone even sells a front end trike which are safer but dont offer the trunk space some "normal trikes" do.

The other idea is to look at the Can-Am spyder.

That has a corbin custom seat, saddle bags and a top case/trunk on it, AND it has a rather large trunk between the front wheels. Its got plenty of space. Like that im sure it has more room than a goldwing.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
acecycleins
Founding Member

First, may I suggest putting your feet down when you stop. It's amazing how many new riders simply forget that it's TWO wheels. Second, look at your surroundings. If you're coming up on sand, gravel, dirt, snakes, geese, birds of prey, and any other thing sharing your lane- move over slightly. You're not supposed to be dead center of the lane anyway- it's a little oily there you know.
If you haven't seen it look for videos from a guy named Motorman (out of Pensacola or PC Beach in Florida. He's an ex-motorcop that has skills most would love to say they have. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #16
manowar3
Registered Member

I'm 70 yrs old and haven't had a bike since 1970 when I had a new 750 cc, 4 cylinder Honda. Then, it was one of the biggest bikes made. But during the intervening 39 years, these monster bikes have appeared, and I was hoping that this forum might offer some tips on how to control them. Perhaps some of you might comment on the quality of wit demonstrated in some of the above replies. Do you want a forum dominated by 12 year olds?
manowar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

Oooooooooooh!!!!! No you didn!!!!!!!

I think the problem is, in your original post, you did not spell out clearly WHAT you wanted.

In that vein, the only answer is:

Practice, man, practice.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #18
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowar3 View Post
I'm 70 yrs old and haven't had a bike since 1970 when I had a new 750 cc, 4 cylinder Honda. Then, it was one of the biggest bikes made. But during the intervening 39 years, these monster bikes have appeared, and I was hoping that this forum might offer some tips on how to control them. Perhaps some of you might comment on the quality of wit demonstrated in some of the above replies. Do you want a forum dominated by 12 year olds?

Perhaps a 70 year old man shouldn't be riding a 800+ pound monster? OR else should have started out on something a bit, erm, smaller like a 750?
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So at 70 you bought a bike that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too heavy for you to hold up, and then you want everyone here to figure out why it keeps falling down? You can't figure that out for yourself?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #20
pushrod
Founding Member

Manowar3,

It would be easier to help (and less tempting to ridicule) if you provided some details about the drops.

Were you doing the same thing every time, or were the circumstances different?

Were you turning right or left?

Leg/knee/ankle issues?

Oh, and another thing. The 12 year old is the Forum Moderator. Most of the rest of us aren't that mature.

You use 'poop' in a post, and we'll giggle for days.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote