Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
RenaissanceWoman
Registered Member

Default I want to do this SMART! Scooter vs Motorcycle

I am giving myself a year (I actually have a countdown). My goals are to take the MSC in April and have all my money saved so I can pay cash for my bike. I am hoping to save about 3 grand (hopefully more) plus gear and MFC fees so add about a grand to that. My original plan was to get a scooter 250+. The more I talk to people who have motorcycles the more I am thinking I should get a motorcycle. I don't know I need more info.
Here is some info about me:
Wife, mom of two boys ages 10 and 4, middle school art teacher.
I want my husband to take the MFC course with me and I think he will or he will have to check he ego at the door as he rides on the backseat.
I just turned 40 (although I feel 25ish), I am 5'3", 130lb.
I have no experience on a scooter or motorcycle although I ride a bike very well, and I played around with a mini-dirtbike in my backyard. I also drove a CRX SI (stick shift)---back in the day .
My blog also has some links to the different scooters I have been looking at.
I have been looking at all the gear and I will have a full face (flip-up) helmet, armor, Bates boots---the works (I like my skin)
I would love your thoughts!
Thanks!
Vicki
Scooter countdown

Last edited by RenaissanceWoman : 06-15-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: add info
RenaissanceWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Today's current 250 and up scooter market is great. There are tons of choises. If you want to cut to the chase, however, I would look at these three. Kymco Exciting, Suzuki Burgman 400 and Yamaha T-max.
Those Maxi scooters will have excellent in-town manners and the ability to hold highway speeds for sustained periods.
Your sales-weasel has probably never sat on or played with a Kymco product. They are made in Taiwan made and comes with an excellent warranty. Burgman's are the most popular scoot made by the Japenese right now. Remeber this, weight while stationary is much different than weight while rolling. Scooters traditionally have very good balance and low center of gravity. You want something that you can utilize storage on and some 250's are simply too small. Now, if you are dead-set on 250s then may I suggest the Aprilia Sportcity 300. If I am right (I usually am) it should come with a two year factory warranty. It's a little sporty like the car you drive and will handle very well- because it's hard to find Italian anything that handles bad.
If you have questions shoot. You'll get your usual smarta$$ answers, but mostly it's all in fun. Get the training done now so you can test ride bikes until your countdown day.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
RenaissanceWoman
Registered Member

Default Thanks

I did get to sit on a Burgman 400 and I fit well on it. I think I could even flat-foot it. I was worried about the size of it but I think that is something I will get over after I take my course. I might take the class sooner, we will see. Do you think a scooter is a better choice for me over a motercycle?
RenaissanceWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Chudy
Registered Member

Choose whatever appeals to you more. My uncle was gunning his scooter at 65mph on a 25mph road and crashed last year (I don't know the full details).

He hit his head in the back and even though he survived, he can't smell anything anymore, doctors say he injured part of his cerebellum.

If you're worried about safety, it's more the rider than the vehicle that determines that.
Chudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaissanceWoman View Post
I did get to sit on a Burgman 400 and I fit well on it. I think I could even flat-foot it. I was worried about the size of it but I think that is something I will get over after I take my course. I might take the class sooner, we will see. Do you think a scooter is a better choice for me over a motercycle?
Here: http://corbin.com/suzuki/sburg4.shtml This will solve your footing problem. Go with the s model 'cause it looks so sporty.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
mugwump58
Registered Member

I see scooters everywhere now a days. Well maybe not I-90. Motorcycle or scooter? You already know, get what you want. Yer only 40, you've got plenty of time to try out all kinds of stuff. There's nothing wrong with ending up with both eventually
Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Mugwump speaks sooth! I've got 4 motorcycles and 2 scooters in the garage right now. Don't pigeonhole yourself.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

One of my co-workers wanted to start riding. She had some of the same questions and misgivings as you. She ended up with the Suzuki Bergman 400 and loves it. She said it was a little intimidating at first, but quite easy to learn on. Now, she rides all over the place, often commuting to/from work. The Reflex 250 is nice, but the Bergman 400 is highway capable. Just my $0.02.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
marioreynaud
Registered Member

Maybe my story will interest you. I bought a Silverwing 600 by Honda about 5 years ago, I just loved it. At the beginig was a little bit difficult for me, but after a week of riding it I just loved it. The capacity of the Maxi Scooter engine and also for cargo purposes, alowed me to go to the supermarket and made my groceries on a weekly basis. I crashed on it on May 8th, 2009! It was an accident, a guy sudenly appear infront of me, because he just did not see me. The Maxi Scooter was total loss and fortunely I had just skin shots and no bones broken. Then I bought a BMW G650 GS 2009 for replacement and I am loving this new one. The ride is completly different, but I still can not tell you which one I like most. Considering your kids and profile, maybe the Scooter will be a better solution for you.

Ride safe!
marioreynaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Since most of us went from bicycles, to mini-bikes to small 100cc dual sports. I always suggest to a new rider to get the smallest dual sport of 100 to 125cc and start off riding in the dirt for the first few months, dirt is a lot softer than cement. You also get the basics on how a bike handles in the dirt (slides, braking, etc) and you won't turn into the human scab when you eat it, or end up in the SCI ward. Good luck on whatever you choose, but remember smaller is better in these cases.