Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Jager71
Registered Member

Default Neck Pain from Riding

Newbie question here...

I have been riding my Shadow 750 almost everyday for the last 3 months. I have noticed that when I ride on the highway (SoCal average speeds between 75-80 mph) for more than 20 minutes I develop neck pain right at the base of my neck between the shoulder blades. I figure it's from the wind buffeting (I don't have a windshield installed and wear a full helmet), but is this something that goes away? I'm in pretty decent shape for a 37 year old (6'2/230 lbs) so is it just muscles I normally don't use, or is it a symptom I should be concerned about? Suggestions please. Thanks.
Jager71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Get a windshield.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

The neck muscles, like any other muscle in the body, need to be trained. If you are performing an activity at a significantly higher frequency or duration, then you need to give the muscles time to adapt and change.

It would unrealistic to just walk outside and assume you could run a marathon (for a non-runners). And it would be equally unreasonble to assume the forces put on the head when you start riding more often would present no difficulty for the neck muscles.

I think that over time, you would get used to it. However, if you don't want to wait, then do as Seruzawa suggested and get a windshild.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Jager71
Registered Member

Understood...thanks for the advice. Hopefully my neck doesn't get bigger, as I already have an 18' neck and buying dress shirts is a pain in the ass as it is!
Jager71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Go to a chiropractor. Good news, my LOWER back is almost totally out of pain! still stiff but little to no pain. upper back hurts, neck is terrible still... still getting migraines but hey its better than it was.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Even more than a windshield, you may need to learn how to relax when you are riding at those speeds. Riding tight will cause pain no matter if you have a windshield or not. When you get up to speed concentrate on relaxing your neck and arms and getting into a riding position that you CAN get relaxed. Holding the grips too tight and hanging on tight with your arm muscles will cause all kinds of pains. Give relaxation a try and I bet that pain in the neck will go away, unlike some posters here!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

wearing a scarff helps too. getting a cold draft down your neck will make it stiffen up in no time

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
wearing a scarff helps too. getting a cold draft down your neck will make it stiffen up in no time
I'm surprised no one has suggested getting a Toyota Camry. Then one can ride in total comfort.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I'm surprised no one has suggested getting a Toyota Camry. Then one can ride in total comfort.

There's always the West Coast classic Subaru Outback w/ rainbow triangle sticker.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You might want to check if you're wearing a helmet that's on the heavy side too.

From years of wearing Bel Star 120's I now have rippiling neck muscles like Charles Atlas.

You can also dull the pain with some light pain meds like Tylenol. Or morphene.