Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Ten (10) posts already and no one came up with the "If your riding with a pain in the neck, ditch the b!tch" line? Something's not right in the world today (shakes head).

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
Jager71
Registered Member

I was reading on some other sites and noticed someone mentioning the wind "lifting" the helmet due to air being deflected off of the chest and up to the underside of the helmet. I have noticed this as well, and think it may be the cause of the neck pain. I think I'll install a windshield which should do the trick.

I was advised by my neighbor who rides a Harley that windshield + FF helmet= immediately showing I'm a noob. True?
Jager71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
12er
Founding Member

Windshield + FF Helmet = smart. It doesnt have to be more than a fly screen depending on your bike and height. But unfortunately trial and error may be in your near future with spendy shields. Check craigslist for used and google all your options for your bike, then google them for reviews. May save a $ or two and get a shield you like the first time. Too big of a shield and you can get back pressure and then your neck hurts in a different way and acts as a sail in the wind. Wrong size and you could end up buffeting so there is more to it than you may think.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager71 View Post
I was reading on some other sites and noticed someone mentioning the wind "lifting" the helmet due to air being deflected off of the chest and up to the underside of the helmet. I have noticed this as well, and think it may be the cause of the neck pain. I think I'll install a windshield which should do the trick.

I was advised by my neighbor who rides a Harley that windshield + FF helmet= immediately showing I'm a noob. True?
No, your neighbor is a dumb **** tough guy. Does he wear a helmet? jacket? gloves or pants? Ok who's the noob? you can go see him when half is face is rubbed off on the payment and tell him that you like looking like a noob rather than a two-face.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

Cruiser riding position sucks. Get a standard, lean into the wind a little more, and end of neck pain.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager71 View Post
HD-"Faithful" Neighbor + Harley "Lore" = Fsckin' Idiot.

And you can tell him "The_AirHawk" said so. I'm better armed than he is, I guaran-fsckin'-tee it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
HD-"Faithful" Neighbor + Harley "Lore" = Fsckin' Idiot.

And you can tell him "The_AirHawk" said so. I'm better armed than he is, I guaran-fsckin'-tee it.
Well I use windshields and full face helmets and I've logged somewhere in the realm of 400,000 miles on motorcycles. Does that make me a noob too?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 AM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well I use windshields and full face helmets and I've logged somewhere in the realm of 400,000 miles on motorcycles. Does that make me a noob too?
Actually, AirHawk is busting on the neighbor "friend", not you.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member

Jager71,

If the pain you are talking about is more in the trapezius (y'know, the place Spock grabs to knock people out) than the base of the neck, your problem is caused by holding your arm out in front of you.

Do you notice if the pain is more on the right side? If so, that's your problem. You can take your left hand off the bar and relieve the muscle on the left, but releasing the throttle, unless you are in the movie, 'Wild Hogs', causes the bike to slow down sharply.

I had the same problem when I rode my FXR (Harley). All I could do was practice relaxation like LR said, and take roadside breaks.

I don't have the problem at all when riding my Sprint.

HTH!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
acecycleins
Founding Member

Did you fit your own helmet or did the parts guys? If you did it you're probably wearing the wrong size helmet. After 27yrs of riding I was working a race one weekend next to the Shoei guys. Dude looks at me and my current helmet and says- "You're a medium!" My response was- "Hell, I'm an xl!" He convinced me to try on a medium helmet. Go figure- 27 yrs and I'm riding with the wrong size.
Try a nice, easy on the wallet, HJC or Nolan helmet in convertible style. The flip up chin-bar is great if you wear glasses and you don't have to remove that helmet for breif stops. If you like the style you can always spend a few more dollars and get a Shoei or Vemar.