Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
gothickisses
Registered Member

Default If you are short... like really really short... what would you suggest?

Kind of an odd question. It isn't because I want something low. It is because I have a 27" inseam. I'm only 5ft tall and female (not sure if the female part matters but I added it anyway).

My ex-husband had a bike that was lowered but still not enough for me to have both feet on the ground, let alone flat foot it.

Is it possible to lower one enough that I would be comfortable on it? Oh, and for a reasonable cost.
gothickisses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Your not REALLY short, i dated a girl who was 4'9... shes short.

anyways. i dont have any suggestions just figured i'd make some more crap for people to read...
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
gothickisses
Registered Member

That was helpful. I should change the title too... "short enough my feet don't touch the floor sitting in a booth t a restaurant"
gothickisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

A know a 5ft tall woman who started on a Ninja500 and is now riding a BMW R1100R. Where there's a will there's a way.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The problem with lowering is that you affect the steering in the process. Moke1 seems to have done several lowering jobs and has some information on it. You might send him a PM and see what he can do to help.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Start out on a small dirt bike and ride it off-road until you are comfortable controlling your vehicle. After that, seat height won't matter that much.

Yes, this is horrendously inconvenient, but it is, IMHO, the best way.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you are really really short, with a 27" inseam, get a Ninja 250, which has a 29" seat height, and then get it lowered by a couple of inches. Actually, a Honda Rebel has a seat height that's less than 27", so if a cruiser type bike is okay with you, that'd be an even better fit.

Last edited by trenttheuncatchable : 05-26-2009 at 09:49 AM.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Vonov
Registered Member

This is really going to sound funny, but my daughter has the same problem...and she rides a Dyna, which is fairly low. She went and found some boots with good ankle support (Corcoran paratrooper/jump boots) and had a local shoe shop add about an inch and a half to soles and heels. Weird, but it friggin works...and now she wears the damn things practically everywhere when she's going to be out alone (makes her feel less intimidated, she says). You might also try a Honda Magna/Shadow and have a low profile seat fitted. Mods on the boots were around $75. I asked her if she was having probs with walking in the taller soles, she said no, but she did have to get used to picking her feet up a little higher when stepping up on stairs, etc...now she doesn't notice.

EDIT: I think it was just an excuse to buy clothes, but she now has a few pairs of jeans she wears with those boots, so she doesn't have the "flood watch" look, lol...

Last edited by Vonov : 05-27-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Vonov is offline   Reply With Quote