Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
dtower
Registered Member

Default Newbie/Intermediate looking for Ducati 749/999/848 as second bike

Hey guys, I've been riding a brand new Aprilia Mana 850 - the new one with the tiptronic/auto clutch transmission - for about a year now. It is my first bike, and really easy to ride. I'm looking for a second bike because I really want a sport bike. Since my beginner motorcycle class where I got my license, I've only tooled around on a bike with a clutch - a GSX-R 600 - a handfull of times, although I've found it no problem at all, except for maybe the smoothness of shifting. I actually feel more in control with a clutch. Im a tall guy, and feel really comfortable on the larger Ducati supersport bikes. I'm in an weird place- I test rode an '05 999 and an '08 848 the day I first rode the GSX-R. I had no problems (except for stalling them from standing because I was being too easy on the throttle) felt more confident in the sport riding position, and really felt great openining it up a bit a few times. Ducati sport bikes fit my height better, the have great torque, and I dont think I'd consider the midget bike the GSX-R is for me, or even an in-line 4. The problem is im a little intimidated of the larger hp/torque bikes, as I should be. Should I go with something like a 749 that has the same torque as my aprilia, or try and baby a 999 or 848 for a year until i feel comfortable opening it up? I dont want to pay $7-8 grand for a 749, then want more in a couple of years when I could be buying a 999 for $9 grand with a 2 year waranty, or a test 848 for $12, waranty, and low financing.
dtower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

The bikes you're talking about aren't really for the street, they're for the track. You should do some track days on a supersport (so that you're supervised and in a controlled environment) and then decide what to get.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

+1 on trent's post.

dtower, comparing the Mana to the other bikes is sorta like comparing your housecat to a tiger.

The Duc's are fabulous machines, but to echo trent, they are designed for the track, but yet street-legal.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
dtower
Registered Member

From the test ride I can tell that any of these bikes is night and day in comparison with the aprilia streetfighter, hence the trepidation. The track is certainly a possibility down the road.
dtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtower View Post
From the test ride I can tell that any of these bikes is night and day in comparison with the aprilia streetfighter, hence the trepidation. The track is certainly a possibility down the road.

I didn't know the Mana was a streetfighter.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote