Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
EyesRadioLies
Registered Member

Default Newbie/Chick

*Gasps for air...* Read... all... 43... pages of the stickies... *falls over.*
I found it helpful but my questions still remain.

My name is Lessie, I am looking into buying a street bike, I am a girl, 18 and NEVER been on anything with two wheels and a motor... Not even the back of one.

So I know that obviously, Im going to need the MSF safety course in a few months, and Im going to try and get some experience on a dirt bike before I even attempt that, since I do not understand the concept of shifting (clutch) with your hands, I can do it in a car, (took me freakin months to get it right) but am oblivious when it comes to a bike.

But my main concerns are my size. I am 5' 3" and weigh 105 pounds, I am scared of passing semi's in my RSX so I cant imagine that going over well on a street bike, I guess I'm wondering how 105 pounds on a 400 pound bike will handle against the wind behind a trailer.

I sat on a 250 Ninja at a dealership and loved it, but I was still on my tippy toes, Any way to lower the bike a inch or so for mah midget legs?

My other concern would be if I end up dropping the bike, like I said, I am teeny tiny, will my measly muscles be able to pick it up off the ground? I guess that's a test of my own strength, but I wanna know how difficult it would be.

Im considering the 250 Ninja, no others I liked really, but I hear people outgrow 250's very quickly, but I speed bad enough in my car, so I dont really need something that goes 150 mph... 90 is fine with me... Hehe

I dont plan on getting a sport bike right away, maybe in a year or less, but i wanna get my facts strait. So any suggestions on what could be the right bike for me? Tips, or if this is just a horrible idea, please help me out!

Last edited by EyesRadioLies; 05-18-2009 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Specs.
EyesRadioLies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

ERL,

Find and then wade through the 'New Riders' 'sticky'. Pack a lunch.

Lots of great info in that thread on new riders and what they should consider in bikes.

The littlist Ninja is a great bike. If it fits you, you'll have a big time on it. You will find that few bikes are set up for somone with a lack of leg.

I've said it before. It ain't the speed that gets you. It's the failure to make a turn or stop in time.

There are a lot of folks riding bikes that are too heavy for them to pick up. Don't worry about that part.

Welcome to the site! You might want to check out the Women Riders forum.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
EyesRadioLies
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm still siftin through the helpful threads for me, i just wanted a more direct answer.

And I will keep on checkin em!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I've been on a Ninja 250 on the expressway. Semi's aren't really a problem, and you shouldn't stay directly behind one anyway. If you have to be behind one, just stay a couple of trucklengths behind. But I always try to pass them up (I don't like being on the side of trucks or cars because they might not see me when they lane change).

By the way, the Ninja 250's top speed is around 105mph; it has no problem cruising at 80-85mph.

The Ninja 250 is the best starter bike (in my opinion). Take the MSF BRC (Beginning Rider Course) and see how you like it.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
EyesRadioLies
Registered Member

Good to know! Thank you very much! Yeah im worried about people, especially trucks cuz most people arent looking for motorcycles, honestly my first thought when I see something with one head light I automatically assume a car has a headlight out.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Neal
Founding Member

My wife is 5'4'' ,105 lbs. and had same concerns.Bought her a Buell Blast and she had no trouble with it. You can pick a nice used one up for 2000 or less but the Ninja 250 is probably your best bet. Taught her to pick it up and she can do it, but the best way for her (or you) to pick up your bike is walk into the nearest bar (or store),swish your hair around,bat your eyes and ask if "any of you big strong boys will help me?"
All kidding aside,your size shouldnt be a hindrance if you are careful and stay off freeways and heavy traffic until you are comfortable on the bike. Good luck and welcome to motorcycling.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
EyesRadioLies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
My wife is 5'4'' ,105 lbs. and had same concerns.Bought her a Buell Blast and she had no trouble with it. You can pick a nice used one up for 2000 or less but the Ninja 250 is probably your best bet. Taught her to pick it up and she can do it, but the best way for her (or you) to pick up your bike is walk into the nearest bar (or store),swish your hair around,bat your eyes and ask if "any of you big strong boys will help me?"
All kidding aside,your size shouldnt be a hindrance if you are careful and stay off freeways and heavy traffic until you are comfortable on the bike. Good luck and welcome to motorcycling.
Thanks! You're Very helpful. ^^

I definitely dont plan on any highways for at least 6 months after owning one... I'll stick with learning my back roads and slow traffic flow.

HA! Thats what us girls do best huh. XD
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Ill agree with Neal, look at the Buell Blast, cool little bike.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, I can say that you're the first member to name him/herself after an Orgy song.

And I'm probably the only one to have recognized it. Sad.

I don't know what any of this has to do with motorcycles.

[Ninja 250 is great for newbies. My sister-in-law has an older model and it's served her well. You can lower it if you want, like she did (she's shorter than you), but I would try not to if possible. You might be able to get the seat shaved down to give you another half inch or so. Motorcycle boots might also give you a little more reach.

You can learn how to pick the bike up mainly using your legs. You have to turn around with your back facing the bike and kind of squat it back up. Look on youtube for vids illustrating how to do this. Absent of that, the swishing hair/batting eyes technique should work well.]
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
EyesRadioLies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Ill agree with Neal, look at the Buell Blast, cool little bike.
Hum diddely thats an awesome bike!

I figured it be a little grandpa like, the name threw me, but great suggestion!