Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
EyesRadioLies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
Well, I can say that you're the first member to name him/herself after an Orgy song.

And I'm probably the only one to have recognized it. Sad.

I don't know what any of this has to do with motorcycles.

[Ninja 250 is great for newbies. My sister-in-law has an older model and it's served her well. You can lower it if you want, like she did (she's shorter than you), but I would try not to if possible. You might be able to get the seat shaved down to give you another half inch or so. Motorcycle boots might also give you a little more reach.

You can learn how to pick the bike up mainly using your legs. You have to turn around with your back facing the bike and kind of squat it back up. Look on youtube for vids illustrating how to do this. Absent of that, the swishing hair/batting eyes technique should work well.]
XD Hilarious...

Yes thanks for recognizing the song and band! They need to get back together. Anyhoo back on topic...

The shaving the seat down is a great idea! And it didn't even cross my mind that the boots would add a better reach, good thinkin'!

Ill be youtubin' it up today lookin for that and if my leg strength fails me then I'll use my batting eyes and swishing hair as a last resort. ^_^
EyesRadioLies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

ERL,

'Shaving the seat' refers to more than just cutting the vinyl and taking the foam out, and/or putting a thinner piece in. Or, in Ken's case, lathering it up and removing the hair that has grown on it.

Many folks find that stock seats are too wide at the point where their thighs are, when their feet are on the ground. So, many find it helpful to narrow the foam in that part, so the legs can make a more direct trip downward.

Unfortunately, many bikes have frame members that are almost the same width at that point, so trimming the seat doesn't help.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
EyesRadioLies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
ERL,

'Shaving the seat' refers to more than just cutting the vinyl and taking the foam out, and/or putting a thinner piece in. Or, in Ken's case, lathering it up and removing the hair that has grown on it.

Many folks find that stock seats are too wide at the point where their thighs are, when their feet are on the ground. So, many find it helpful to narrow the foam in that part, so the legs can make a more direct trip downward.

Unfortunately, many bikes have frame members that are almost the same width at that point, so trimming the seat doesn't help.
I figured they would take the vinyl off and trim down the foam, but your right about the width of the rest of the bike. Well I'm just afraid, tippy toes wont cut it for me at a stop, id feel much safer if I could flat foot.

Once I get the bike I am looking for, I will see what I can do to be more comfortable without having to lower the bike itself.

Why is it that its not recommended to lower the actual bike?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
pushrod
Founding Member

'Short' answer: It changes the geometry of the bike, the design of which keeps a lot of engineers on company payrolls.

Also, it will reduce your cornering clearance. Meaning, you may/will drag parts sooner.

Most important advice when lowering a bike: Lower both ends. If you don't, you change the steering characteristics. If you need to, great. But it must be done carefully.

Somewhere on the site, and a week or two ago, was a lady talking about boots. See if you can dredge that one up.

Then, get off the computer, and go sit on some motorsikkles!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
ERL,

I've never had my seat shaved, but if you're free this weekend, I'm interested. PM only please, I'm shy.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
EyesRadioLies
Registered Member

Quote:
'Short' answer: It changes the geometry of the bike, the design of which keeps a lot of engineers on company payrolls.

Also, it will reduce your cornering clearance. Meaning, you may/will drag parts sooner.

Most important advice when lowering a bike: Lower both ends. If you don't, you change the steering characteristics. If you need to, great. But it must be done carefully.

Somewhere on the site, and a week or two ago, was a lady talking about boots. See if you can dredge that one up.

Then, get off the computer, and go sit on some motorsikkles!
Makes sense, I'd definitely like to get around that somehow, so for now, I will keep that out of the question.

Ill go check out more of the forums as well, and Ill be in Denver this weekend so Ill hit up some dealerships and get a good feel of sitting on different bikes.

Thanks for everyone's help! And the perverted jokes. You boys make me laugh.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #17
Vonov
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I've never had my seat shaved, but if you're free this weekend, I'm interested. PM only please, I'm shy.
Make sure you bring along some local anesthetic...
Vonov is offline   Reply With Quote