Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Newbie! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/11900-newbie.html)

EG1765 05-14-2009 01:38 AM

Newbie!

Hey everyone! I'm excited I found this place! I have lots of questions. First off, I'm gonna take my saftey course before I do anything. But I was wondering...I'm 6'5" 170 lbs. I want something that's easy to learn on. The Rebel or Ninja 250 look ideal, but I'm afraid I'll be to tall for it and not be able to ride comfortably. Would a 500cc or 600cc be to big to learn on? Any taller people have any experiences with the Rebel? Thanks so much!

Eric

Kenneth_Moore 05-14-2009 05:01 AM

Hi EG, glad you're here. The cc's of a bike are not a good way to judge how well it will "fit" you, or how comfortable you'll be riding it. There are so many factors, including your arm and leg length in relation to your torso, if you're comfortable sitting upright versus leaning over the tank, feet beneath you versus ahead or behind you.

Generally speaking, you're in the right frame of mind to look at a smaller, lighter first bike. Used is good, 250 to 500 or maybe 650 ccs is a good range.

I'd suggest a trip to a few motorcycle dealers to sit on a variety of bikes. The salespeople are going to swarm you, so be ready to firmly tell them "I'm LOOKING today, I have several places to go, give me a card and I'll call you when I'm ready." Sit on some standards, maybe a Dual Sport, and even a sportbike.

Once you have an idea what you like and feel good on, then you can start browsing the used bikes both at dealers and in places like Craig's List, Cycle Trader, etc. Also, consider attending a seminar on motorcycle buying and selling. Even if you don't choose to to that, the insider info you'll gain will be invaluable.

Have fun, and if you do stick around, don't take anything or anybody here seriously. Everybody gets a ration of madura.

pushrod 05-14-2009 06:27 AM

Eric,

Wade through the New Rider 'sticky'.

Lots of good info, including bikes for tall, underweight riders.

Welcome to the site!

trenttheuncatchable 05-14-2009 07:34 AM

You won't want a Rebel at your size. Sit on a older Ninja 250 (pre-2008 model), and see what you think. If that feels too small, try a Ninja 500. If you want to go cruiser instead, then try the Ninja 500's cruiser cousin, the Vulcan 500.

MadScientistMatt 05-24-2009 09:45 AM

Welcome! At your height, I'd say look for dual sports, as their riding position is a bit more height friendly, though the 500 cc and under sportbikes may work too. I'm about 6'2" myself and ride a Suzuki GS500F that I've modified the bars a bit to improve the fit. I'd recommend staying under ~50-60 hp for your first bike, but there's quite a few choices in that range. The Kawasaki KLR650 may be your best bet; it's tall enough for NBA stars.

newagetwotone 05-24-2009 07:05 PM

No more than 650ccs, no more than 2 cylinders. a 400cc 4 cylinder will out power a single cylinder 650, not everything is as equal as it appears.

Remember a couple of things, buy a helmet, a jacket, gloves, boots and possibly riding pants. "Style" is great till your face is pavement paint.

Don't listen to your family, lots of parents/uncles/cousins will tell you to do things that are no right, my dad taught me to use the rear break ALL the time because if you use the front break you'll flip... WRONG.

Don't listen to your friends, they're going to do the same thing, most of them are squids.

Just remember to go slow, speed isn;t what you want starting out.