Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #21
thebrandon
Registered Member

Thanks again everyone!

Safety, MSF, and learning how to control the bike are my main concerns right now. I rode the bike around my neighborhood today. It was absolutely thrilling even though I was only going 25 mph lol.

seems to be a lot of thread jacking here lol oh well
thebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #22
pushrod
Founding Member

Thread jacking!?

Here!!?

Say it ain't so!!!

TB, the Kat is a solid bike. If the hat you got doesn't fit, go get one that does. First thing. No sh*t.

Go to Lee Parks Design, World's Finest Deerskin Motorcycle Gloves and Accessories or Amazon and buy his book, 'Total Control'. It's a good, easy read, and is very valuable. I really like his DeerTour gloves, too.

Take the bike over to a big empty parking lot, and practice stopping and turning. Especially stopping. Practice braking hard enough to either 'skitch' the front tire or crush your nuts. Keep your eyes on the horizon. You should stop in a straight line. If your eyes water, you need to brace yourself better.

Get a feel for the rear brake. Most non-cruisers and standards have a fairly weak rear brake, which is almost useless in a hard stop. Some folks use the rear when in a parking lot.

In your turns, keep your head level, and look through, not into the turn. You will find that 'target fixation' is very real. You will tend to run over anything you look at on the road surface.

In low speed turns, use the clutch to control your speed, and keep the rpm up a bit to avoid stalling. Remember that when you gas it, the bike will stand up.

And don't forget that all those cars are not out to get you, but there's a good chance they will. Assume the worst case scenario.

And (one of my pet peeves), do not ride on the right side of the right lane, especially in town!

I see a bunch of ticks doing this around here. They are almost invisible to people trying to pull out onto the roadway.

Go have fun!

pr

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrandon View Post
seems to be a lot of thread jacking here lol oh well
This place is just full-up with Forum-Terrorists.

With that outta the way now, you can GET ALL YOUR HANDS ON TOP OF YOUR HEADS - WE'RE TAKING THIS THREAD TO CUBA!!!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #24
thebrandon
Registered Member

The guy gave me a kevlar jacket, and a helmet, the helmet is too big though I was really hoping that it would fit because that would save me a lot of money, but oh well!

Are the iconic(I think that's what it was) kevlar jackets any good? He said it cost him a pretty penny.

Also what helmets would you guys recomend?
thebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrandon View Post
The guy gave me a kevlar jacket, and a helmet, the helmet is too big though I was really hoping that it would fit because that would save me a lot of money, but oh well!

Are the iconic(I think that's what it was) kevlar jackets any good? He said it cost him a pretty penny.

Also what helmets would you guys recomend?
That would be Icon. If so, it's OK. If it fits you well, and you'll wear it - that's even better.

As to the helmet - buy one that Fits. No matter the brand, if it doesn't FIT, you won't wear it. Try on lots and lots of them. Ebay the one he gave you.

The helmet should fit "snug", but not "OMF'nGIcan'twaittogetthisF'nthingoff" tight.

If you're sorta "between" sizes, and the smaller size doesn't cause pain, buy it - they all loosen-up over time. When you put it on, tighten the chin-strap, and hold the chin-bar and try to "swivel" the helmet around your head - you should essentially move with it.

Next, grasp the helmet at the base of your skull, and try to pull it off over your face - if it even comes partway-off, it doesn't fit.

Finally, wear the thing around the store for awhile, browse other bikes, etc - you should keep it on your head for at least 20-minutes or so. If it's still comfy, and no "hot spots" on your head anyplace (i.e. places that seem to be "jabbing" you in the head), you've got a Winner.

If it's essentially a fit, but the cheekpads fishmouth your face, see if there are smaller cheekpads available for it - many helmet mfgrs are doing things like making these interchangable in an effort to get a more-custom fit "off the rack".

Only THEN should you look for one in that model that you like the paint-scheme. And different models fit differently - the Scorpion EXO1000 doesn't fit the same as the EXO700.

One of the most-comfortable helmets I ever owned was made by ZR-1, and I paid only $90 for it. My last Icon I paid $285, and the EXO1000 I'm using right now cost $320. But all of them fit me; unlike the $450 (in 1996 dollars!) AGV R1 sitting in my closet that I put-up with for years, 'til I learned what a helmet was supposed to be.

Don't worry about it matching the bike - if you limit yourself to the colour of your bike, you'll never find what you need.

And when you've worn it out - donate it to your local Regional SCCA, or buy a lamp-kit from Hobby Lobby and make it into something unique that tells visitors to your home something about yourself. Especially if you (God Forbid!) happen to "retire" the lid by wearing it through a crash.

Finally, before you lay down the green on one - check the online stores like Helmet Harbor or others, see what they've got for pricing. I found with my EXO1000 that, it was essentially a wash - either the Online Stores were higher than the local dealer I bought it from (with free shipping), or it was lower, and you paid shipping - the price was essentially a Wash comparing online to local brick-and-mortar. In that case, local gets my dollars every time (unless they're a bunch of jerks runnin' the place - but I don't have that problem here).

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-13-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #26
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
the $450 (in 1996 dollars!) AGV R1 sitting in my closet that I put-up with for years, 'til I learned what a helmet was supposed to be.
What size is it? Wanna sell it? Klazy Ken Seminars needs nice door prizes.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
What size is it? Wanna sell it? Klazy Ken Seminars needs nice door prizes.
Are you kiddin'? This thing is handmade from only the finest Carbon Fibre and expanded Polystyrene, with a hand-stitched, Rich Corinthian-Leather interior, and 15 Coats of exquisite, hand-buffed Laquer with a mile-deep shine. It's a freakin' Collector's Item. It means a lot to me, it's like one of my Children. I could NEVER part with it while I still live and breathe.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #28
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Are you kiddin'? This thing is handmade from only the finest Carbon Fibre and expanded Polystyrene, with a hand-stitched, Rich Corinthian-Leather interior, and 15 Coats of exquisite, hand-buffed Laquer with a mile-deep shine. It's a freakin' Collector's Item. It means a lot to me, it's like one of my Children. I could NEVER part with it while I still live and breathe.
How much money does NEVER take?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #29
pushrod
Founding Member

An AGV from 1996!?

Don't you guys read the manufacturer's recommendations!?

Helmets (well, at least ARAIs) are supposed to become useless at the 5-6 year point. A 13(+) year old hat is going to turn into a big pile of dust any minute!

It's probably dangerous to use it as a lamp!

Maybe if you take off the faceshield, it might be good as a dog dish...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
How much money does NEVER take?
Te... No, Twe...er..THIRTY Dollars.

Shipped.

And I have this plastic plug, will fill that lamp-hole nicely. Or, you can leave it open for better ventilation.........

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-14-2009 at 11:55 AM.