Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you are looking to ride a motorcycle to save money, forget it. You can only do that if that is the only vehicle you own. When you add in ALL the costs, motorcycles don't fare all the well on the savings end. I know if I save any more money on my bikes, I'm gong to go broke. If you want to ride for fun, then you came to the right place. Ninja 500 would be a good place to start, preferably a used one.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
thebrandon
Registered Member

Hello again everyone. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions!

The 8-12 month time period I was expecting before I got a bike turned into a few days as I got an offer to trade my quad for a bike, jacket, and helmet(hopefully it fits), and I will be picking it up this Tuesday. It will still however be a good deal of time before I start riding. The MSF class will have to be taken before I start riding, but at least I get to take it sooner than I was expecting

A lot of you are pointing out the cost of owning a bike, and at this point, literally anything would be cheaper than my truck with how much I have been putting into it. Riding is something I have always wanted to do and after 3 years of driving around in the Arizona sun with no air conditioning in a truck that pretty much became an oven for me, riding seems absolutely thrilling!
thebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 AM   #13
kram43
Registered Member

Default height requirements

uhm.. hey guys! im planning on buying a 2009 yamaha r1 or r6....but i like the r1 better.... my height is 5'6 weight 135lbs.... i just wanna know which bike suits me well.... im planning on buying this year and after that im goin to enrol on riding schools...... thanks and more power!!!!
kram43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #14
newagetwotone
Registered Member

None, get a smart car and go away.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 AM   #15
acecycleins
Founding Member

Brandon- spend your money on a used dual sport. Suzuki DRZ400 comes to mind.
Kram- Deciding on a R6 vs R1 based on "like" makes you seem ill-informed and a lot like you'd be a squid on the roadway. At 5'6" and 135 your are suited toward the R6. But I wouldn't suggest that even. You need between 3 and 5 yrs on a good used Suzuki SV650 or a Ducati Monster 620. Get some seat time (about 15K miles) on one of these and come back and re-ask your question.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram43 View Post
uhm.. hey guys! im planning on buying a 2009 yamaha r1 or r6....but i like the r1 better.... my height is 5'6 weight 135lbs.... i just wanna know which bike suits me well.... im planning on buying this year and after that im goin to enrol on riding schools...... thanks and more power!!!!
Glad you posted, stick around and get some help. R1 and R6 are bikes for experts. If you were learning to fly, would you start with a small single engine Cessna or an F-16. The correct answer is the Cessna. Same with the bike. Start with something managable and get some seat time. Then, after you've made your beginner mistakes, go get the supersport. Find the new rider sticky thread and wade through that as well. Lots of good bike suggestions and good riding advice and tips in there.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #17
thebrandon
Registered Member

Btw the bike I traded for is a 2004 gsx600f katana with 4000 miles. I went and checked it out, has a couple scratches from being tipped over while it was sitting. According to KBB its a pretty fair trade for my 2005 450r.

Do you guys think I need to look for something a little less powerful? Or do you think this would be a good bike to learn on after the msf class? I know this isn't the lightest bike, and compared to other bikes in its class its a bit slower which is a good thing for me, I honestly don't need anything that can 200 mph. Also from what I have read it seems to be pretty reliable, which is a great thing to me.

What are your thoughts on the bike?
thebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:36 AM   #18
pplassm
Founding Member

You could do better, but you could do worse, too. Although not a "perfect" starter bike, many riders have started on "Kan of Tunas" successfully.

Be careful!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrandon View Post
Btw the bike I traded for is a 2004 gsx600f katana with 4000 miles. I went and checked it out, has a couple scratches from being tipped over while it was sitting. According to KBB its a pretty fair trade for my 2005 450r.

Do you guys think I need to look for something a little less powerful? Or do you think this would be a good bike to learn on after the msf class? I know this isn't the lightest bike, and compared to other bikes in its class its a bit slower which is a good thing for me, I honestly don't need anything that can 200 mph. Also from what I have read it seems to be pretty reliable, which is a great thing to me.

What are your thoughts on the bike?
Just keep the RPM's low for the first couple months and you should do fine. Self control goes a long ways.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
kram43
Registered Member

thanks alot! ive been plannin' this for a while coz i live pretty close to 2 good race tracks here philippines, i just cant buy one last year coz of the number of accidents here thats why mum wont let me.haha! and last year also i was in malaysia to watch motogp, rossi is still the best! thanks again!
kram43 is offline   Reply With Quote