Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
thewacokid7
Registered Member

Default Cafe Racers

Hello all,

I'm new to biking like most of the guys that come on here and post questions. I'm set to take the MSF course in less than a month, so naturally I've begun the hunt for my first bike. There seem to be a fair amount of 70's cafe racers availabe in my area, and I've always thought the sort of retro look to be much cooler than a lot of the newer bikes coming out. My question is weather or not it would be a good idea for a first bike? They're fairly low displacement for the most part, which I see as a good thing, but I'm not sure how dependable they'd be all around. Anyone have any experience or tips?
thewacokid7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

You'll learn the ins and outs of motorcycling very fast having to fix an older ride. Keep the CC's under 550 and make sure you put on new rubber. Old cracked tires, not good... Google the he11 out of any bike your looking at purchasing and buy good gear. Read the new riders thread. Or buy a baby ninja and ride the wheels off it and pick up a fixer upper as a second ride.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

possibly, the biggest "problem" with old bikes is lots of working on them. Some people (me and my fiancee) don't mind it, some people (My dad) LOVE it and of course some people hate it.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Cafe` Racers as a style are the flippin' bees knees, as a bike you'll have to judge each one separately. Some people are good mechanics and can get a pretty decent bike together, others are not and will damage everything they touch.

Your best bet might be finding a used Triumph Thruxton, they're a pretty cool bike...remember stock is best. Another popular bike to cafe is the '75 Honda 400 Super Sport, they're kinda thin on the ground but they're an excellent bike and look cool as hell without much trouble

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote