Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
NEROSTAR
Registered Member

Default i dont know which is a better decision or both

okay so ive wanted a bike for as long as i can remember. and ive decided that this is the year i will do it. one of the things that have pushed me is the new harley iron 883. I LOVE THAT BIKE. its exactly what i want. okay on to my question, i know that i am gonna take the riders edge class but after reading on different sites ive gotten alittle nervous. alot of people were talking about dumping there bike during the class. i was wondering if i should get my learning permit and the bike before i sign up for the class so that i can practice more for the class or would it be smart to just take the class and then get my bike? im figuring that the more practice the better but im just not sure. thanks for your time
NEROSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
rmorehouse2000
Registered Member

R.E. provides a bike for you to learn on. Better to dump that bike than your own new one! Good luck and enjoy the class
rmorehouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Honestly, id buy something cheap, used, old, crappy, that you really dont like too much. Ride it for a year. Dump it lots, you will, don't say you won't.

Then buy the bike you want, of course take the class before you buy a bike.

Taking the class and buying a cheap bike you may find: Motorcycling is not for you, Cruisers are not for you, ect. This way instead of having a useless $8k bike you have a useless(or scratched up) $1000-2000 bike.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
SonnyRides
Registered Member

Excellent points made by newagetwotone and morehouse2000. Most classes provide beginners with a bike to learn on. You will note that they all show signs of having been dropped. Take the course; determine if you are still interested in riding; try and find an inexpensive bike to ride for a while, then choose a new one. When buying a used bike, if it says "never crashed, never dropped", you can usually assume it was also "never ridden". It's a wonderful world you are about to venture into, and can bring you pleasure beyond your wildest dreams.
SonnyRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

+1 on all the posts above!

Don't 'learn' on a new bike! Unless you have a lot of money to buy new turn signals and bar ends and paint jobs.

Welcome to the site! Keep us posted on your progress!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
ejis
Founding Member

To add to the chorus - there are many used, cheap, small, light bikes to choose from in every category. In general, you can buy and sell these for nearly the same price, as long as it's condition doesn't change much.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Lil'Red99
Registered Member

Hey there! Make sure your bike has engine guards. Mine does and I'm sooooo glad. I've had it a week and it's tipped over twice on me. Always at a stop. Dumped the one in the Rider's Edge class, too. Everyone told me "don't worry about dumping your bike 'cause it's gonna happen". My bike is a 99 883 Sportster that costs me 3 grand with 10 thousand miles on it. I don't cry about the few scratches I'll put on it and then I'll buy my dream bike when I'm a better rider.
Lil'Red99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Chudy
Registered Member

Why'd it fall over when you stopped?
Chudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy View Post
Why'd it fall over when you stopped?
They're a lot easier to balance when they're moving; the steering has a self-stablizing action that increases as the speed goes up. Get a bike over 10-15 mph, and the only way it'll fall down is if it hits something or exceeds the grip of its tires. Below 5 mph, they're very unstable.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote