Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best "Dual" 250 size bike-off pavement use (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11580)

nucofed 04-14-2009 09:50 PM

Best "Dual" 250 size bike-off pavement use

Must be licensed in my state-thus a "Dual". Looking for approx. 250 size for trail, forest service road, logging roads etc. Utilize for exploring, hunting and fun. 6'1'', 230 pounds, mid-age. Not looking for speed-more safety and torque up steep mtn. trails. Would be packing back pack and rifle at times. Never would use on pavement except maybe in Cul-de-sac in front of my house. Thanks for suggestions.

pplassm 04-15-2009 04:38 AM

These are the current 250 dual-sports available:
Honda CRF230L
Yamaha TT250
Kawasaki KLX250S
Yamaha WR250R
Husqvarna TE250

They are listed in order of increasing dirt prowess (Honda least, Husky most) and price. Also seat height, and power.

The Japanese offerings are hampered by "street-legal overkill". The Husqvarna is closest to a dirt bike with lights. All have electric starters. The Yamaha and Husqvarna have EFI, and their prices reflect it.

How serious (fast) are you going to get about dirt performance? If you just want to go slow and putt around, the Honda and Yamaha TT250 are great. Pluse they are the cheapest alternatives.

See them in the showrooms and sit on them. Doesn't sound like seat height would be a problem for you.

Just don't get the Honda and expect to ride 50 miles down the Interstate and be comfortable. The WR250R is capable of that, though.

seruzawa 04-15-2009 07:31 AM

The best dual purpose for your needs would probably be the Suzuki DRZ400. It's not much more than the Yamaha anyhow.

pplassm 04-15-2009 09:27 AM

True enough. It also "feels" much larger and heavier due to the spinning masses of the engine internals.

MOKE1K 04-15-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucofed (Post 210419)
Must be licensed in my state-thus a "Dual". Looking for approx. 250 size for trail, forest service road, logging roads etc. Utilize for exploring, hunting and fun. 6'1'', 230 pounds, mid-age. Not looking for speed-more safety and torque up steep mtn. trails. Would be packing back pack and rifle at times. Never would use on pavement except maybe in Cul-de-sac in front of my house. Thanks for suggestions.

Hands down the DRZ4, unless you find a cheap XR650 somewhere.

pplassm 04-16-2009 06:39 AM

And I'll bet $5 I'm the onlyone on this board that actually owns one. The OP is looking for something small and light. You guys are thinking in streetbike terms.

Actually, the ultimate solution is a KDX200 with a license plate, if you can make that happen.

seruzawa 04-16-2009 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 210588)
And I'll bet $5 I'm the onlyone on this board that actually owns one. The OP is looking for something small and light. You guys are thinking in streetbike terms.

Actually, the ultimate solution is a KDX200 with a license plate, if you can make that happen.

I was thinking about the 230 pound rider factor. I have ridden the DRZ, you know. Plus he's going to be riding at altitude. Those neasto tests you've read on the 250s were done at sea level. There's quite a difference when you go +6000ft. 7500ft gives you a nearly 20% power loss, minimum

nucofed 04-17-2009 09:09 AM

The cycle shops, with multiple brands, indicate that running from sea-level to 7000' strongly suggests an EFI. Only the Yamaha 250-liquid cooled has that EFI. Any suggestions on that advice?

mscuddy 04-17-2009 01:11 PM

The best 250 you can get would be the 1972 DT2 250 Yamaha Enduro. It will be running long after those four strikers have died a painfull, expensive death. You can also fit a rifle scabbard on the front forks with no problem (mine had an FN49 stuck in it). Hey, there's one in my avitar! How unusual...

seruzawa 04-17-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucofed (Post 210723)
The cycle shops, with multiple brands, indicate that running from sea-level to 7000' strongly suggests an EFI. Only the Yamaha 250-liquid cooled has that EFI. Any suggestions on that advice?

Well, it's true to some degree. A carbed bike can be rejetted for altitude and thereby be pretty much as good as EFI as long as you stay in the altitude range.

But, here're the facts. Power depends amongst other things on air pressure. Less air pressure = less power. Aircraft without compressors get their maximum speed at sea level. As they increase altitude they lose power and can't go as fast even though the air is thinner. They use compressors to maintain sea level power at higher altitudes and thus go faster in the thinner air.

Extrapolating this to motorcycles means that if the air pressure at your altitude is 15% less than sea level then the very best you can do is get 15% less horsepower. EFI adjusts automatically to compensate but still the very best you can get is 15% less than sea level. This is basic physics. Higher altitude = less power.

Now, the 250 you are looking at may be just fine power-wise for you. However I'd try real hard to get a test ride at altitude just to be sure it's going to be enough. It probably will except for the Honda which is a real weak sister to begin with.