Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Best "Dual" 250 size bike-off pavement use (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/11580-best-dual-250-size-bike-off-pavement-use.html)

mscuddy 04-17-2009 06:28 PM

Yes, but portnoy old boy, that's only taking the Eisenberg factor into play, where atoms decellerating at a greater rate than the neutrinos cause the bubble up to go flat. Urp.

nucofed 06-18-2009 10:14 PM

Dual comparison including KTM vs. all others?

If you include the dual-purpose KTM 400, how would you rate that bike vs. all the other major brands for off-road use-not racing?

pplassm 06-19-2009 04:59 AM

The "street legal" KTM's in this category are the 450EXC and 530EXC. If you're converting a 400, that is a very capable machine. I have a 525 with a license plate. It'sall the dirt bike you could want.

The original post was about 250's wasn't it?

nucofed 06-25-2009 09:17 PM

returning to best dual-bike question-HELP

After much research, shopping and thought, I am more confused than ever on this question. Let us not limit the size to the 250cc. Remember, no pavement use. Slower (granny gear slow) on steep trails both up and down, is preferred over high speed. The bike will at times pack some gear on the back (maybe even a deer). Elevevation will be from 0-6000'. Forest service roads, single track trails, washed out gullies will also be the norm. I thought for sure I had chosen the bike based on the day and discssion. I change my mind almost every week. These have been the contenders: Yamaha TW200, XT 250, WR250F, Suzuki DRZ 400s, Kawasaki KLX 250S, KTM 450 dual etc. You can see my problem. I am almost back to the TW200. I am open to all suggestions, makes, size, models, brands, air cooled/liquid/EFI etc. Remebmer: No pavement, 54 years old, 6', 230 pounds, not a mechanic, used for sight seeing, hunting, exploring and reaching a particular destination in the mtns.

Dr_Sprocket 06-26-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucofed (Post 217222)
The bike will at times pack some gear on the back (maybe even a deer). Elevevation will be from 0-6000'. Forest service roads, single track trails, washed out gullies will also be the norm.

Remebmer: No pavement, 54 years old, 6', 230 pounds, not a mechanic, used for sight seeing, hunting, exploring and reaching a particular destination in the mtns.

Carrying a deer?! What is the weight of the deer? What is the weight of you plus a deer carcass? Will you be trailering the deer out or strapping it on (no jokes here, please)? You might want to look at the max capacity of the bikes being considered.

At 6'0", you might feel cramped on the Yamaha TW. Have you actually sat on any or all of the bikes mentioned?

pplassm 06-26-2009 05:04 AM

If you're carying a deer, you don't want a bike.

And, if you're on a quad, stay outta my woods.

Maybe a Rokon Trail Breaker?

ROKON: TrailBreaker

They actually show a guy riding with a deer strapped on the back of the bike.

nucofed 06-26-2009 06:19 AM

Just a part of the deer-at the most-and very infrequently.

sarnali2 06-26-2009 08:28 AM

Pplasm's right, if you want a workhorse the Rokon's the ticket, I didn't know they still made them but there were quite a few around in the 60's and 70's when I used to go camping with the folks. They're basically a two wheeled version of a D9 Cat, they even painted them yellow.

pplassm 06-26-2009 08:35 AM

Your suggested bikes run from full off-road race bikes (KTMs) to foo-foo trailbikes (TW200/225, etc.).

From what you've written, I'd suggest the XT250. You might have to gear it down to get the ultra-low gear you want on any bike, though.

I saw a lightly used one for sale the other day for $3000.

Dr_Sprocket 06-26-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 217236)
If you're carying a deer, you don't want a bike.

And, if you're on a quad, stay outta my woods.

Maybe a Rokon Trail Breaker?

ROKON: TrailBreaker

They actually show a guy riding with a deer strapped on the back of the bike.

Excellent post! I had forgotten about those little bikes. Thanks for the reminder.