Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   HD Iron v MG Nevada v Triumph Bonneville (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/11441-hd-iron-v-mg-nevada-v-triumph-bonneville.html)

Icehawk 04-11-2009 04:27 PM

An upside to the MG is that there are several dealers in the area and I like the idea of a very light bike and its relative exoticness. My main concern is reliability.

The Bonneville certainly seems to be a popular choice with about equal support & parts as the Sportster - dealer is a bit farther away but within 1hr.

One thing I'm interested in is the various riding positions - I enjoyed the low slung "in the bike" feeling I got from the Eliminator 125 I used in my MC class/test but I sit pretty upright on my scooter and that also works for me.

I'm going to try and go test ride this trifecta in the next few weeks since that is ultimately the deciding factor.

sarnali2 04-11-2009 07:12 PM

that's it, it all comes down to which works best for you. You've got a good selection going though

Icehawk 04-24-2009 01:31 PM

A little update, went to all 3 dealers today... arg, what a PITA! First, went to HD - no one asked if I needed help, didn't see an Iron anywhere. Gah, the Sportster is just too big and doesn't have the image I want to display - I did see an Anniv 500 which was kinda cool though.

Next, MG. Don't have V7 and have no idea when one will come in.

OK, so let's try Triumph - have plenty of Bonnies and Scramblers to look at & sit on - Scrambler's just too tall for me as a newbie so it's sure look like a Bonneville at this point. Unfortunately I couldn't take a test ride today but have to come back next week.

Even so all of the bikes just seem so big, what happened to all those mid (err, small these days) displacement small "bread loaf" seat bikes of the '70s? I'm no 6' 220lbs guy here!

Dr_Sprocket 04-24-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk (Post 211324)
Even so all of the bikes just seem so big, what happened to all those mid (err, small these days) displacement small "bread loaf" seat bikes of the '70s? I'm no 6' 220lbs guy here!

Did the dealership have the new Bonneville SE (460 lbs)? That is supposed be lower due to a lower seat and smaller wheels.

You could consider other options, too. If you think that the Bonnie is too big, take a look at the Buell Lightning Scg (395 lbs) or Buell CityX - city cool, plenty of v-twin grunt, and unique enough to let you catch a rabbit.

Icehawk 04-24-2009 04:23 PM

Yes, they have the '09s - I could put my feet down on the 17" wheel versions of the Bonnie fine, just had to go to balls for the Scram. Coming from ~200lb scooter these seem much heavier and bigger. For the record I'm 5'7" 125lbs :)

My issue with the Buell bikes is they are very modern/sporty looking and that is definitely not what I want.

I guess my ideal bike isn't made anymore really, there are either starter 250cc bikes or 750-900cc+ stuff but nothing in that middle ground. Stupid displacement race.

newagetwotone 04-24-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 209965)
Based on your needs and size, I second Sarnali's choice:

1st - Triumph
2nd - Harley-Davidson
3rd - Moto Guzzi

Of course, if you prize exclusivity above all else, then the Guzzi is the bike for you. A guy right down the road from me rides a Guzzi California and the nearest Guzzi dealership is 2.5 hours away. It can be done.

I just found out that theres a guzzi dealer like 15-20 miles away, i always thought there were no dealers around here... might have to go look at the 750 Classic

Dr_Sprocket 04-24-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk (Post 211333)
I guess my ideal bike isn't made anymore really, there are either starter 250cc bikes or 750-900cc+ stuff but nothing in that middle ground. Stupid displacement race.

Sounds like what you are looking for is the Kawasaki WR-650. Alas! They don't make that any more. If you look hard enough, you might be able to pick up one used. I found one on cycletrader.com: 2000 Kawasaki W650 for sale in Winston-Salem, NC: Standard - CycleTrader.com

tripleripple 04-24-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk (Post 211333)

My issue with the Buell bikes is they are very modern/sporty looking and that is definitely not what I want.

Ah, see, this is where everybody gets tripped up. While the Buells look very modern/sporty, they are actually powered by tractor motors. Tractors!! Don't be fooled.

newagetwotone 04-24-2009 10:35 PM

Wait, What?

tripleripple 04-24-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 211352)
Wait, What?

Because I'm forever stuck in Linear view, I don't know if you're responding to me. IF you are, then I should explain that I'm a Buell owner, a proud one, one who grins ear-to-ear every time he gets on his bike. Howev's, there are a couple peeps who think the buellster is inferior because of its sportster motor. One is kaypee pee. He also falls over when he sees sticks. The other is Moke. I swear to god he'll deny it, watch him, two posts down, he'll be talking about how he looooves it. He's a liar. Then I'll have to go pull up the thread, blah blah. Seriously, doesn't matter, he's a richard about this. Otherwise, probably a good dude. Anywho, that whole tractor thing is a joke, which you probably knew, and I would have known had i not been stucksville in linearsville. Or not.

By the by, my FOID card should be here any day now...picture this level of reasoning + firearms. Good lord.