Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   I Don"t Know if this is the bike for me. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/11383-i-don-t-know-if-bike-for-me.html)

SH1FT 04-05-2009 07:39 PM

I Don"t Know if this is the bike for me.

Hi, im paul and this is my first season riding. I currently Own a 1997 Suzuki GSX600F (katana). I didn't have much knowlage when i bought the bike so i kinda of based it on year/mileage/price since i wasnt really trying to spend alot.

The bike is nice, rides smooth, and it is spunky. But i kinda feel like its not enough. Im 6Ft 2in 170 and it just doesnt have the snap i want now that i've been riding for a few months and am getting comfortable.

I keep thinking about buying a new bike but i think, what should i get. I mean i kind of dont want to spend alot because really i dont want the payment and the insurance behind it. I kinda like high rev bikes but i feel like i want more bottem end....Can anyone help me? where do i start?

The_AirHawk 04-05-2009 09:39 PM

You're just "getting used to" the power of the bike. We always want more once what we have has gotten old - and this is the perfect time for you to just ride the bike.

Really.

Dr_Sprocket 04-06-2009 03:28 AM

Listen to The_AirHawk. He's right. Ride the bike for at least one more season.

That bike doesn't have the "grunt" down low because it's not supposed to. The power is up higher in the rev range. My guess is that in town, you're not getting the revs up because you don't need to, so the bike feels weak. How high have you gone on the tach?

longride 04-06-2009 04:30 AM

"...and it just doesnt have the snap i want now that i've been riding for a few months and am getting comfortable."

Getting comfortable on a bike generally means you are headed for a big crash. Riding for a few months makes you think that you actually know how to ride and can really handle anything. You can't. Riding faster doesn't make you better. Learn for at least a year and probably two on what you have.

mugwump58 04-06-2009 06:42 AM

If I recall correctly it's at the 6 month and 2 year mark that accidents spike, statistically speaking.

sarnali2 04-06-2009 11:36 AM

Ditto, ride what you have for a while longer, a few months just isn't enough time to learn the ropes street riding.

pushrod 04-06-2009 12:02 PM

Shift,

The one thing you can buy that'll make the Katana faster is a School, like the one taught by Kevin Schwantz, or Lee Parks' Total Control ARC, etc.

You don't say where you are, but the ARC is taught all over the place. Check Lee Parks Design, World's Finest Deerskin Motorcycle Gloves and Accessories for the schedule.

Most bikes are a lot faster than their drivers.

Kenneth_Moore 04-06-2009 01:34 PM

They tell me that SH1FT is one bad mothaf....
Shut your mouf!
But I'm talking about SH1FT!
We know. And we can dig it.

sarnali2 04-06-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 209558)
They tell me that SH1FT is one bad mothaf....
Shut your mouf!
But I'm talking about SH1FT!
We know. And we can dig it.

Join the Isaac Hayes Movement

YouTube - Isaac Hayes - Theme from SHAFT

SH1FT 04-06-2009 09:48 PM

true maybe i am just getting used to it, and yes i understand that rpm's have alot to do with it. i've taken the bike up to 11k but i only toy around on straight roads i know nobody really travels on and good conditions. trust me, i know there is a time and place for everything as far as messing around goes. Is there any bolt-on modification that will "spunk" this thing up? i mean its not that i don't like it, i just wish i had a little more bottem end is all. i mean i come from muscle cars to this being my first bike. a bigger sprocket?

And, I signed up for the PAMSP (Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program) im going to take atleast the beginner course and get my license through that, then possibly take the advanced course.