Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Opinions Please (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11381)

Zraupp10 04-04-2009 03:03 PM

Opinions Please

Hey everybody, I want to get a bike. I am 17 years old, about 6.2' tall, around 220lbs and trying to loos more..

I like Honda so does my Dad... My Dad did have a Honda CBR1000RR but sold it cuz he didn't wont me going over 200mph on the Highway (trying to stay away from the speeding one, to make my mom feel that i am lill safer 8) )
I like cruisers, dual sports, and do not care for scooters.

I live on a dirt road, so I was thinking of the dual sport, but there are a few people with cruisers down my road.... and I go to 2 school one I need to go on the highway.. I think it will be a lill dorky going on the highway with a dual sport that can only go 71mph..

What max of CCs of an 17/18 year old? (I'm turning 18 in Nov. I think I will get a bike sooner, but just asking)
Is the Honda Shadow Aero 745cc with liquid-cooled "OK" for me?

Dr_Sprocket 04-04-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zraupp10 (Post 209447)
Hey everybody, I want to get a bike. I am 17 years old, about 6.2' tall, around 220lbs and trying to loos more..

I like Honda so does my Dad... My Dad did have a Honda CBR1000RR but sold it cuz he didn't wont me going over 200mph on the Highway (trying to stay away from the speeding one, to make my mom feel that i am lill safer 8) )
I like cruisers, dual sports, and do not care for scooters.

I live on a dirt road, so I was thinking of the dual sport, but there are a few people with cruisers down my road.... and I go to 2 school one I need to go on the highway.. I think it will be a lill dorky going on the highway with a dual sport that can only go 71mph..

What max of CCs of an 17/18 year old? (I'm turning 18 in Nov. I think I will get a bike sooner, but just asking)
Is the Honda Shadow Aero 745cc with liquid-cooled "OK" for me?

Look at the Suzuki DRZ-400SM, a supermoto - safe for dirt roads, light enough for new riders, and cheap enough that it'll be easy to fix and/or repair when you drop it (which you will). Suzuki makes good stuff with better value per dollar than Honda right now (except perhaps the CBR1000, which you should NOT get).

Zraupp10 04-04-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 209457)
Look at the Suzuki DRZ-400SM, a supermoto - safe for dirt roads, light enough for new riders, and cheap enough that it'll be easy to fix and/or repair when you drop it (which you will). Suzuki makes good stuff with better value per dollar than Honda right now (except perhaps the CBR1000, which you should NOT get).

Honda XR650L $6,449
2009 XR650L - Honda Powersports
Suzuki DRZ-400SM is $6,699
Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - DR-Z400 - 2009 - DRZ400SM

I will probably go with the Suzuki DRZ-400SM, because of what you told me, "cheap enough that it'll be easy to fix and/or repair when you drop it. Suzuki makes good stuff with better value per dollar than Honda right now"
Thank you.. maybe I should get one used? (cheaper).

Dr_Sprocket 04-04-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zraupp10 (Post 209461)
I will probably go with the Suzuki DRZ-400SM, because of what you told me, "cheap enough that it'll be easy to fix and/or repair when you drop it. Suzuki makes good stuff with better value per dollar than Honda right now"
Thank you.. maybe I should get one used? (cheaper).

Good point about the Honda. Check 'em both out. See what fits you best. If you are going to ride more in the dirt, the Honda will be a better bike. If you are going to ride more on the road and want a bike you can have a little fun with ;), then check out the Suzuki.

The drop comment referred to the cruiser (with lots of shiny chrome).

MOKE1K 04-05-2009 07:13 AM

I dont know, didnt we all just say liquid cooled bikes are so much heavier and are not for begginers? With which I didnt agree?

Dr_Sprocket 04-05-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 209470)
I dont know, didnt we all just say liquid cooled bikes are so much heavier and are not for begginers? With which I didnt agree?

Ummm. That thread was specifically referring to off-road riding in the wilderness (Cascade Mountains, if I remember correctly). That is totally different than riding on roads in/near populated areas. You were the one that brought up the hole in the radiator thing, which I would guess happens far less often that dropping a dual-sport off road. Just my $0.02.

Of course, the Suzook's radiators are side-mounted. Moke, do you think they would get damaged if he lays her down? You know Zooks better than anyone else here.

MOKE1K 04-05-2009 08:26 AM

True, I guess just cant understand why people seem scared of technology, that all.

newagetwotone 04-05-2009 08:35 AM

Man moke there are times when you're a real SOB....

seruzawa 04-05-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 209478)
True, I guess just cant understand why people seem scared of technology, that all.

Ha! No one's "scared" of tech. I work on avionics systems for a living dude. I worked on satellite positioning motors some years ago as well.

Sometimes we like simplicity for it's own sake. What's wrong with that?

You've never been stuck in the desert 90 miles from the nearest service station have you? Sometimes reducing the number of things that can go wrong is a superior use of tech. I've got an older 4X4 truck that's pretty bare bones. It's never failed me in the desert. Some of my friends with fancy all push-button Toyota 4X4s can't say the same thing.

Ever heard of "death by GPS"? It's when a pilot looks at his GPS instead of out of his windshield and thus flies into an object that isn't in the GPS database.

The_AirHawk 04-05-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 209478)

Hey - I've seen The Terminator - I bloody-well KNOW what's coming for us! As soon as the Military gets Skynet online - we are all well and truly fuk't...........

(even the Australianz.......)