Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I have an air-cooled Bandit and wouldn't trade it for a water-cooled anything. Much simpler and no water necessary. They had air-cooling figured out about 100 years ago I think.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I have an air-cooled Bandit and wouldn't trade it for a water-cooled anything. Much simpler and no water necessary. They had air-cooling figured out about 100 years ago I think.
What year and engine size Longride? Didnt most of them have oil coolers just cant remember the older ones?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
What year and engine size Longride? Didnt most of them have oil coolers just cant remember the older ones?

It's a 2001 1200cc. It has an oil cooler in the front, but it doesn't use different oil than is already in the engine.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question Huh,?

Wouldnt that be liquid cooled? I mean its not water of course, but it is liquid cooled, by oil? In fact if I remember even the Gs series were oil cooled. That is where that motor derived from and later into the GSXR's then the GSF's.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 04-03-2009 at 07:35 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
This is like saying dont get electric start because the battery could die and leave you stranded? I think they have liquid cooling figured out by now, the extra weight is worth the benefit imo. The weight isnt going to be that much more anyway. Just my 2!
In most cases you are right. However I have a special circumstance where I ride the Southern Utah desert area which includes literally thousands of miles of roads on deserted BLM land around I-70. You can't appreciate the immensity until you actually see it. So I still prefer an air-cooled bike like my current DR400 (soon to be replace by a DR650). I have had a friend hole his radiator out there and spend a night stranded, which in spring is no picnic with very low overnight temperatures. I see air-cooling in that circumstance as simply removing one more possible failure.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Wouldnt that be liquid cooled?
Technically yes, but LR's point is valid: there's plenty of excellent air-cooled bikes to be had. Nobody can say that an air-cooled engine is as efficient as a liquid (and by liquid I think most of us are referring to water jacketed cylinders) cooled engine. You just can't do the same things when the engine metals are expanding and contracting at the rates that air cooled ones do.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
In most cases you are right. However I have a special circumstance where I ride the Southern Utah desert area which includes literally thousands of miles of roads on deserted BLM land around I-70. You can't appreciate the immensity until you actually see it. So I still prefer an air-cooled bike like my current DR400 (soon to be replace by a DR650). I have had a friend hole his radiator out there and spend a night stranded, which in spring is no picnic with very low overnight temperatures. I see air-cooling in that circumstance as simply removing one more possible failure.
Yes well in this case I agree. Heck come to think of it, I had two guys from the shop that went on a Sunday ride through are twisty roads and both recieved holes in their radiators.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes well in this case I agree. Heck come to think of it, I had two guys from the shop that went on a Sunday ride through are twisty roads and both recieved holes in their radiators.
Radiators really suck when they dump anti-freeze on your rear tire. I was following a Road King on a very tight 270 degree cloverleaf one day. All of a sudden I was losing my back tire...I'd start to get it back, it would swing out again. I'm watching this stupid HD breeze through the corner, and I can't do anything. I have no idea why I didn't crash, but I finally sort of slid off the road into the weeds...upright. And within seconds bright green Prestone was puddling around the bike. I wonder if the distilled water and Royal Purple ICE mix my car friends use would be any less slick? Standard antifreeze might as well be oil as far as traction goes.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #19
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Radiators really suck when they dump anti-freeze on your rear tire. I was following a Road King on a very tight 270 degree cloverleaf one day. All of a sudden I was losing my back tire...I'd start to get it back, it would swing out again. I'm watching this stupid HD breeze through the corner, and I can't do anything. I have no idea why I didn't crash, but I finally sort of slid off the road into the weeds...upright. And within seconds bright green Prestone was puddling around the bike. I wonder if the distilled water and Royal Purple ICE mix my car friends use would be any less slick? Standard antifreeze might as well be oil as far as traction goes.

I think what you should have said was, "Radiators "totally" suck when they dump anti-freeze on your rear tire."

No need to wonder about products like engine ice and water wetter being less slick, its mandatory in all forms of Roadracing Thats the only reason why they make you replace the anti-freeze out of your bike when getting on a track, that can reek havoc when your traveling over a hundred.

I will say though, mantenance and being prepared goes along way. Example, radiator gaurds one of the first things I get for any of my bikes.Protective parts like these can go along way and save you alot of hassel. Oh and by the way, good save!!!

Last edited by MOKE1K : 04-03-2009 at 07:36 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Like TOTALLY RAD man!
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote