Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   water vs. air cooled for new rider (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/11329-water-vs-air-cooled-for-new-rider.html)

longride 04-03-2009 11:43 AM

I have an air-cooled Bandit and wouldn't trade it for a water-cooled anything. Much simpler and no water necessary. They had air-cooling figured out about 100 years ago I think.

MOKE1K 04-03-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 209282)
I have an air-cooled Bandit and wouldn't trade it for a water-cooled anything. Much simpler and no water necessary. They had air-cooling figured out about 100 years ago I think.

What year and engine size Longride? Didnt most of them have oil coolers just cant remember the older ones?

longride 04-03-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 209284)
What year and engine size Longride? Didnt most of them have oil coolers just cant remember the older ones?


It's a 2001 1200cc. It has an oil cooler in the front, but it doesn't use different oil than is already in the engine.

MOKE1K 04-03-2009 02:37 PM

Huh,?
 
Wouldnt that be liquid cooled? I mean its not water of course, but it is liquid cooled, by oil? In fact if I remember even the Gs series were oil cooled. That is where that motor derived from and later into the GSXR's then the GSF's.

seruzawa 04-03-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 209273)
This is like saying dont get electric start because the battery could die and leave you stranded? I think they have liquid cooling figured out by now, the extra weight is worth the benefit imo. The weight isnt going to be that much more anyway. Just my 2!

In most cases you are right. However I have a special circumstance where I ride the Southern Utah desert area which includes literally thousands of miles of roads on deserted BLM land around I-70. You can't appreciate the immensity until you actually see it. So I still prefer an air-cooled bike like my current DR400 (soon to be replace by a DR650). I have had a friend hole his radiator out there and spend a night stranded, which in spring is no picnic with very low overnight temperatures. I see air-cooling in that circumstance as simply removing one more possible failure.

Kenneth_Moore 04-03-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 209315)
Wouldnt that be liquid cooled?

Technically yes, but LR's point is valid: there's plenty of excellent air-cooled bikes to be had. Nobody can say that an air-cooled engine is as efficient as a liquid (and by liquid I think most of us are referring to water jacketed cylinders) cooled engine. You just can't do the same things when the engine metals are expanding and contracting at the rates that air cooled ones do.

MOKE1K 04-03-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 209319)
In most cases you are right. However I have a special circumstance where I ride the Southern Utah desert area which includes literally thousands of miles of roads on deserted BLM land around I-70. You can't appreciate the immensity until you actually see it. So I still prefer an air-cooled bike like my current DR400 (soon to be replace by a DR650). I have had a friend hole his radiator out there and spend a night stranded, which in spring is no picnic with very low overnight temperatures. I see air-cooling in that circumstance as simply removing one more possible failure.

Yes well in this case I agree. Heck come to think of it, I had two guys from the shop that went on a Sunday ride through are twisty roads and both recieved holes in their radiators.

Kenneth_Moore 04-03-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 209333)
Yes well in this case I agree. Heck come to think of it, I had two guys from the shop that went on a Sunday ride through are twisty roads and both recieved holes in their radiators.

Radiators really suck when they dump anti-freeze on your rear tire. I was following a Road King on a very tight 270 degree cloverleaf one day. All of a sudden I was losing my back tire...I'd start to get it back, it would swing out again. I'm watching this stupid HD breeze through the corner, and I can't do anything. I have no idea why I didn't crash, but I finally sort of slid off the road into the weeds...upright. And within seconds bright green Prestone was puddling around the bike. I wonder if the distilled water and Royal Purple ICE mix my car friends use would be any less slick? Standard antifreeze might as well be oil as far as traction goes.

MOKE1K 04-03-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 209355)
Radiators really suck when they dump anti-freeze on your rear tire. I was following a Road King on a very tight 270 degree cloverleaf one day. All of a sudden I was losing my back tire...I'd start to get it back, it would swing out again. I'm watching this stupid HD breeze through the corner, and I can't do anything. I have no idea why I didn't crash, but I finally sort of slid off the road into the weeds...upright. And within seconds bright green Prestone was puddling around the bike. I wonder if the distilled water and Royal Purple ICE mix my car friends use would be any less slick? Standard antifreeze might as well be oil as far as traction goes.


I think what you should have said was, "Radiators "totally" suck when they dump anti-freeze on your rear tire."

No need to wonder about products like engine ice and water wetter being less slick, its mandatory in all forms of Roadracing Thats the only reason why they make you replace the anti-freeze out of your bike when getting on a track, that can reek havoc when your traveling over a hundred.

I will say though, mantenance and being prepared goes along way. Example, radiator gaurds one of the first things I get for any of my bikes.Protective parts like these can go along way and save you alot of hassel. Oh and by the way, good save!!!

newagetwotone 04-03-2009 08:33 PM

Like TOTALLY RAD man!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.