Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
anden
Registered Member

Default Talk me out of it.

Last time I was on a bike was about 13/14 years ago. Now I'm looking at getting a Triumph 04 triple 995. After reading everything in these forums it looks like a bad idea, but the price is right. I've been on it a couple times but thats just putting around the block nothing real exciting but the potential to get in over my head is there. Its already been dropped/highsided (owners a moron (trashes cars too) so no worries there. Maintaing it will suck only one dealer in my area though.
anden is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
RedRaider
Banned

Buy a new or used Ninja 250 or 500 ride it for a year and sell it. Great bikes and great resale value. I just bought a Ninja 250 for my girl friend. If I was starting out it would be my first choice. Looks bigger than it is and goes faster than you think, great handling and I think there will always be a good market for quality newbie bikes.
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

A liter bike, 1,2,3 or 4 cylinders, doesn't matter. too much. Dont go above 650, don't go above 2 cylinders. both of those are pretty good guide lines.

Honda VFR400 NC21 - Naked Tri-Colour - For Sale - Cape Town

http://www.gallagher.com/yamaha/Honda_Hawk_GT_1988.jpg

There are lots of good naked/streetfigher bikes that are much smaller than the 995.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

What RedRaider said. And it's a Triumph Triple 955.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Speed Triple? Tiger? Sprint?

Not that it makes much difference.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Arden,

The 955i is a wonderful motor, but one of its best attributes is one that will bite you as a 'new' rider. It is very smooth, and the bike builds a good head of steam with little drama.

You will find it difficult to keep your speed down, and may find yourself overcooking corners. Which tends to be a self-limiting problem.

The Triumphs are extremely reliable, so the lack of a 'local' dealer isn't that big a deal.

Depending on your experience and your proficiency all those years ago, the Triple may or may not be a good choice.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
anden
Registered Member

It would have been the speed triple. But after a good bit of thought smaller bike it is. Possibly the SV. I just don't want to look like I should be going fast. the hard part for me is getting around how much he wants for the thing

BTW the best advice I haven't seen yet here. Is that when you around Idiot drivers slow down let them move on.
anden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

"BTW the best advice I haven't seen yet here. Is that when you around Idiot drivers slow down let them move on."

In CA you would have to park your bike and take the bus. Though never engage an idiot while on two wheels is a good rule of thumb, no matter what they are driving / riding.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Go ahead, get the 995. I get dibs on your stapler and mouse pad.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
RedRaider
Banned

SV650 is a great bike but some folks here say it is too big. I'm 200 lbs and just over 6 feet and I started out on a 600 supersport. Now my girl friends bike , Ninja 250, is great but you have to rev it up to get started so if you are a big guy I would go with the nice torque curve of a small V-Twin like the SV. My girl friend is very lithe and athletic so here little Ninja is perfect for her. The main thing is self control. If you are natural athlete like me it doesn't take long to become competent on a bike like the SV650 or a 600 supersport if you have self control. I spent a lot of time in big parking lots with my first bike practicing emergency stops etc. Takes a longer time to to master equestrian eventing.
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote