Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
newagetwotone
Registered Member

yes, natural athlete, thats it. Don't tell ANYONE to start on a 600SS. Just because you made a poor choice and maybe short a couple brain cells doesn't mean you should give people advice that puts their life in danger.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
My girl friend is very lithe and athletic so here...
The main thing is self control...
If you are natural athlete like me...
if you have self control...
...Takes a longer time to to master equestrian eventing.

So is your "equestrian event" stuffing your noggin up a horse's ass, or simply practicing being one on public forums?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
newagetwotone
Registered Member

HA!

stupid letter limit...
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #14
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
SV650 is a great bike but some folks here say it is too big. I'm 200 lbs and just over 6 feet and I started out on a 600 supersport. Now my girl friends bike , Ninja 250, is great but you have to rev it up to get started so if you are a big guy I would go with the nice torque curve of a small V-Twin like the SV. My girl friend is very lithe and athletic so here little Ninja is perfect for her. The main thing is self control. If you are natural athlete like me it doesn't take long to become competent on a bike like the SV650 or a 600 supersport if you have self control. I spent a lot of time in big parking lots with my first bike practicing emergency stops etc. Takes a longer time to to master equestrian eventing.
First you give good advice by suggesting a Ninja 250, and then you blow it. One of the reasons a Ninja 250 is a good first bike is exactly because you have to "rev it up" to really get it going. And while it's nice to have self-control, it's even better to have experience riding. Even with self-control, you can still go over a bump on a supersport and accidentally blip the throttle, lose control, and kill yourself.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
RedRaider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
First you give good advice by suggesting a Ninja 250, and then you blow it. One of the reasons a Ninja 250 is a good first bike is exactly because you have to "rev it up" to really get it going. And while it's nice to have self-control, it's even better to have experience riding. Even with self-control, you can still go over a bump on a supersport and accidentally blip the throttle, lose control, and kill yourself.
I agree. You are right about a 600 super sport poor choice for new rider. The 650SV really isn't a sport bike though and lots of moto journalist (outside of motorcycle.com) say its an ok for a beginner bike.
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
You haven't figured out who Red Raider is yet, have you?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

****ing oh my ****ing God it's 20-****ing-05 all-****ing-over again. (and 2004,2003,200.......)

It is abso****inglutely IM****INGPOSSIBLE for you to ****ing be that ****ing Stupid, Kook.

I ****ing mean just ****!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 03-24-2009 at 09:42 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #18
anden
Registered Member

Well triple been traded in for a Hyabusa (guys got a deathwish) so now I am going to actively look for one. Now my next question is there anything in particular I should be looking/listening at/for when I check a bike out. I am mechanicaly inclined so the little stuff doesn't bother me, I can rebuild an engine with both hands, scatter tranny parts all over the garage.

Oh yeah and I thank y'all for the advice as does my wife, but she hates you guys cause now I'm looking at spending 4 instead of 2.
anden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #19
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
****ing oh my ****ing God it's 20-****ing-05 all-****ing-over again. (and 2004,2003,200.......)

It is abso****inglutely IM****INGPOSSIBLE for you to ****ing be that ****ing Stupid, Kook.

I ****ing mean just ****!

Exactly.

Effing letter limit...
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree. You are right about a 600 super sport poor choice for new rider. The 650SV really isn't a sport bike though and lots of moto journalist (outside of motorcycle.com) say its an ok for a beginner bike.
People in the know, especially the highly self controlled, naturally athletic equestrian with lithe girlfriends agree that the V-4 is the ultimate development of the motorcycle engine. That said, a natural athlete expert equestrian would probably find the new VMax a great beginner bike. Maybe you could train the noob when you aren't busy with your malaria prevention work in the Congo?