Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
WTXDreaming
Registered Member

Default ALERT, another newb, ALERT

Hello from West Texas! I just wanted to say hello and if you feel even more picking of your brains occuring its probably just me! Ive wanted to get into riding ever since I rode my brother's new (at the time) '98 CBR up and down the block when he visited in '98! Well, finally (10 years later!!! ) got things going more my way and have been looking to get into riding and have started acquiring the gear for the MSF Course and anxious to get started! The new rider threads you have going with tips and what not are very good helpful as well. Anyone around here from my area?

L8rs!

Jason
Helmet: on order
Gloves: on order
MSF Course: pending on gear
WTXDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Well. A nOOb that didn't come in and scream that he wants a 600cc sports bike or a 'busa... or a Bosshoss. AND is taking the course. wow. Thats differnt. I've not nothing sarcastic to say.

Just remember the answer to life, the universe and everything IS 42.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Don't forget your towel...

Welcome to the site.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
newagetwotone
Registered Member

What ever you do Don't Panic!

read the new rider thread too. i know its like 30+ pages but its worth the time.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

What type of riding would you like to do?
Dual-Purpose bikes will do anything you ask of them. Sprotbikes are not a good start, but if you have too- then what attracts you? Cruiser? Maxi-Scooters- cool, affordable and great commuters with storage? Give us some ideas.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
WTXDreaming
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

On the "don't panic" part, I hope I can handle that. Made it through being run off a divided highway in a '93 Ranger at a sort of raised road crossing, jumping over the crossing, landing, and remembering to not overcorrect. Fishtailed 2 times and pulled over to check on the little lady! Odd part is....and I'm sure this will leave you guys in awe after reading some stories....NOBODY stopped to check on us!
That story and a few close call stories from my brother have kept me in check if I've needed to be.

Anyways, as for what I'm looking for in a bike and a sportbike being my goal, I've been looking towards something like the GSX650F or similar to start with. Something with the power to get out of sticky traffic situations WHEN I need to. Thankfully I don't live in Ginormousville, USA but we do have our traffic issues to be certain!

One question that came up is how a jacket should fit. My brother gave me a GSXR jacket quite a few years back and it still fits as far as I can tell, but not sure how it should fit since its not designed to be admired standing in a mirror but instead protecting my hide comfortably out on a bike. Any tips on this? If not, gotta change my signature!

Jason
Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
ShawnKing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTXDreaming View Post
One question that came up is how a jacket should fit. My brother gave me a GSXR jacket quite a few years back and it still fits as far as I can tell, but not sure how it should fit since its not designed to be admired standing in a mirror but instead protecting my hide comfortably out on a bike. Any tips on this?
The most important thing is it shouldn't be too loose/baggy. The armor in it (it *is* armored, right?) needs to stay in place in order to protect you in case of a get off. if the jacket is too big, the armor will slide away from the areas it's meant to protect.

And for the West Texas heat, it's got to be something that is comfortable. If it's not comfortable, you won't wear it. If you don't wear it, it can't protect you.

You don't say if it's a leather or mesh jacket. Leather provides more protection but can be *brutally* hot where you live.

And remember, it probably won't be your last jacket (just like it won't be your last bike). Many of us have different jackets for different riding/weather conditions. I've got three - a heavy winter one, a leather spring jacket and a mesh summer jacket.
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ShawnKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
WTXDreaming
Registered Member

Dang, it....already leaving out details. Sorry about that! Its a leather jacket and has padding, but not necessarily what I'd call armor. I think this jacket is probably a mid to late '90s vintage. The more I've messed with it, the more I think I'll be investigating new jackets and get opinoins/suggestions on them. I've heard its best to have a jacket that zips to your pants to avoid jacket "roll-up" in case of any events happening. I've seen a few Icon and Alpinestars jackets that LOOK good but don't know if that was the salesman talking of the funcionality of things. As for heat, summer I'm looking for a mesh type jacket I would say as we can have 1 to 2 week periods of 100+ and somehow on the hottest of days, any breeze there was has gone the way of the dodo. I do see the having 3 jackets in my future, but for now want to set my sights on something good for the MSF and probably somewhat cool temps. Come to think of it, lets add pants to the equation! What do you guys ride with to protect the lower half while being comfortable enough to stay in while hanging out b-b-q-ing or whatever? Again, thanks for any input and keep it coming!

Jason

Last edited by WTXDreaming : 02-15-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
ShawnKing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTXDreaming View Post
Dang, it....already leaving out details. Sorry about that!
LOL No problem.
Quote:
Its a leather jacket and has padding, but not necessarily what I'd call armor.
There are different kinds of "armor". Some of it is very hard as you would expect and some of it is what you would describe as padding.
Quote:
I think this jacket is probably a mid to late '90s vintage. The more I've messed with it, the more I think I'll be investigating new jackets
I'd agree. I'd want a newer jacket if only because you don't know what kind of wear and tear the used one has. As a beginning rider, I always recommend you *don't* scrimp on protective gear.
Quote:
I've heard its best to have a jacket that zips to your pants to avoid jacket "roll-up" in case of any events happening.
It is a consideration. Others might strongly recommend it. To be honest, while my jacket and pants do have the ability to zip together, I've never actually done it.
Quote:
I've seen a few Icon and Alpinestars jackets that LOOK good but don't know if that was the salesman talking of the funcionality of things.
Looks don't matter when you're rolling around on the pavement after a get off. No one sees you sliding by and thinks, "Wow - he looks good crashing!"
Quote:
As for heat, summer I'm looking for a mesh type jacket I would say as we can have 1 to 2 week periods of 100+
Liar! My wife is from Ft Worth and you guys can have *months* of insanely high temps!
Quote:
What do you guys ride with to protect the lower half while being comfortable enough to stay in while hanging out b-b-q-ing or whatever?
I don't worry about hanging out. If I need to, I wear shorts or sweats under my armored pants. That way, I can easily take off the pants and be comfortable.

There are all kinds of pant manufacturers. I've worn everything from armored jeans to chaps to fully armored riding pants. It's a personal choice. You'll just have to try on a bunch of different kinds.

That having been said, my Rev'It armored pants are *very* comfortable, easy to get on and off and seemingly well armored with plenty of protection - I don't ever want to find out though.
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ShawnKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
newagetwotone
Registered Member

The GSXR650 is NOT a starter bike, almost 75 horses is in no way going to be starter friendly. The Ninja 650r or Sv650 get about 10 less if you HAVE to have something that big. If you really like the sports bike take a look at the Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500 or the Suzuki GS500.

Heres an other question, how tall are you? alot of people want sports bikes, sit on them in the dealer and they're fine then find out a ride or two later that they're not comfortable for more than a short jaunt.

As for jackets, if your worried aobut heat i'd set a said the leather and look for something leather AND perforated(im assuming yours is not) or mesh with armor. With gear remember to buy the BEST you can, you can replace a bike, a helmet or a boot but you can't replace your brain, hands or spine and believe me you don't want back pain. A full face helmet, armor jacket, good gloves and riding boots (not tennis shoes, think about skin on asphalt at 60mph.) Something else, almost forgot, riding pants. Something lots of people forget. You shouldn't just buy a bike and a pudding bowl and be done, jeans aren't good protection. The other choice is to buy a riding suit.

By the way, the "42," "Don't forget your towel" and "Don't panic" comments are actually likes from a book called Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Its a great book(comedy)