Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   ALERT, another newb, ALERT (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/10715-alert-another-newb-alert.html)

pushrod 02-18-2009 05:53 PM

The Scorpions all have a 'relaxed round' shape. If you wear a 'long oval' cowboy hat, the Scorpions won't fit.

If all else fails, go to a site like helmetcity or similar, and look at their 'sizing' charts. Measure your melon, and order a hat from an outfit that will take the hat back if it doesn't fit.

I'm in the same quandary. My ARAI Signet GTR has been wonderful, but it has reached the end of its service life. Actually, it did that several months ago.

Because the ARAIs are so freakin' expensive, I'm eyeballin' the Shark RSI, but I hesitate to pull the trigger.

MadScientistMatt 02-20-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTXDreaming (Post 204738)
Thanks guys, I'll be checking into that GS500 for sure. How is the GS on normal riding? Does it still feel sporty to you? I don't care about going 150 on some desolate highway or anything like that right now. On the helmet, there's 3 I THINK I have it narrowed down to. The Scorpion EXO-1000, love the built in shades idea, and an Icon Mainframe or Airframe. Anyone have pros/cons on these 3 helmets? Think my wife wants to get me one "normal" and one with a good graphic...don't think I'll be stopping her! 8)

I've got an EXO-400 helmet myself, but like the others have said, no substitute for trying one on.

I haven't ridden any all out race bikes, but have ridden a Buell. The GS500 is fairly sporty and fun on twisty roads - not quite as much an all out performance bike as a race replica, but it's quite responsive.

WTXDreaming 02-20-2009 05:19 PM

ah-HA! Another dang-ol-dag-nab detail! Where I live...there's no real twisties....flat flat boring terrain. Talked to my bro. and he's got an extra new jacket that's mesh but has all the armor, and like he says, free is better than $300! So I'm down to the gloves and helmet soon I hope and am just going to go visit the store and see what fits when I get a chance again probably in a week. LOL, like he said, I need to get the bike and then the helmet so they can match! :p

Jason

The_AirHawk 02-21-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTXDreaming (Post 205108)
ah-HA! Another dang-ol-dag-nab detail! Where I live...there's no real twisties....flat flat boring terrain. Talked to my bro. and he's got an extra new jacket that's mesh but has all the armor, and like he says, free is better than $300! So I'm down to the gloves and helmet soon I hope and am just going to go visit the store and see what fits when I get a chance again probably in a week. LOL, like he said, I need to get the bike and then the helmet so they can match! :p

Jason

You know, makin' everything "match" will only leave yourself open to (good natured!) derision.......

:wink:

ShawnKing 02-21-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTXDreaming (Post 205108)
LOL, like he said, I need to get the bike and then the helmet so they can match! :p

Jason

Huh...I didn't realize "Jason" had become a *girl's* name!

Real men don't care if their gear color-matches their bike! At least...not for your first set of gear... :)

newagetwotone 02-22-2009 12:37 PM

Wow you're a sexist.... if i say that I'll get modded off the board. Why don't you grow up?

ShawnKing 02-22-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 205258)
Wow you're a sexist.... if i say that I'll get modded off the board. Why don't you grow up?

LOL I'll assume you're referring to me.

1) You did say it and, apparently, *didn't* get "modded off the board".

2) I am grown up.

3) It was a joke - as evidenced by the smiley in my post. Sorry you missed it.

WTXDreaming 02-24-2009 04:04 PM

HAHA! Apparently my smiley was missed denoting my sarcasm with the matching thing! Anyways, update is here! My bro. apparently has a motorcycle jacket tree somewhere as he has an extra unused Joe Rocket one for me. Gloves will come next and helmet still not sure but do now know that Icon and XBC larges fit comfortably. Anyone know if those might translate to HJC sizing?

Jason (a man, I promise! :D )

ShawnKing 02-24-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTXDreaming (Post 205478)
HAHA! Apparently my smiley was missed denoting my sarcasm with the matching thing!

Don't worry about it - everyone but "newagetwotone" knew you were joking - as were the rest of us by ragging on you. :)
Quote:

My bro. apparently has a motorcycle jacket tree somewhere as he has an extra unused Joe Rocket one for me.
Are you sure those jackets aren't "falling off a truck" somewhere? :)
Quote:

Gloves will come next
Make sure the ones you get aren't just cloth. They have to be made of sturdy material, preferably have some kind of armor in them but be soft/flexible enough so that you can feel the handlebars. The also must fit very well. I've got got several pairs I no longer where because they bunch up under my palm and cause discomfort.

WTXDreaming 02-24-2009 06:05 PM

lol, yeah the first jacket he gave me was bought in Korea when he was stationed there and was also about 10 years ago. This one, he's got 2, being mesh maybe the 2nd was a just in case the first one gets tested jacket... For gloves, I just need to find which ones I guess. I put one on and sat on a bike and they felt good being large size. ...and the hunt begins again!