Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
WTXDreaming
Registered Member

I had thought the GSX650F was kind of like the Ninja 650R. Used to be Katana if I'm not mistaken. All the reviews I've seen of it say its a good beginner bike, but you may be right. More research shall be done! As for gloves, jacket, and helmet; I'm waiting on the good ol' refund from Uncle Sam and I'll knock those out. Looking toward Icon, but probably going Shoei once I saw how easy to change visors from day ride to night ride. For boots, I bought the Icon Field Armor ones and have been wearing them some to help get the broke in. No way in hell I'm going tennis shoes/flip flops/sandals like I see allll the time. Oh, and I'm about 5'8" depending on who's measuring. I definitely want gear with armor, no questions there. So pants and what not I'm kind of lost on where to be looking. I like the street look of Icon's stuff but not sure about how much protection is there to keep that look. Will be looking into the aforementionted RevIt stuff as well. As for the "old" jacket I have, it was given to me brand new but keeping it is out....executive decision has been made!

Thanks,
Jason
Helmet: on order
Gloves: on order
MSF Course: pending on gear

Last edited by WTXDreaming : 02-15-2009 at 01:16 PM.
WTXDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

I've got a GS500F myself. To say it has enough power to get out of sticky traffic situations would be quite an understatement: I also used to have a C4 Corvette, and the GS500F was a bit faster than the 'Vette in a straight line. Sport bikes sometimes get rated on a scale that has pretty much no relation to anything a normal car driver has ever driven; the 600 cc class has power to weight ratios you generally don't see outside of exotics and heavily modified race cars, while liter bikes are closer to purpose built drag cars than any normal street car. I'd recommend starting on a 500 cc or smaller sport bike; these still have plenty of power.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
pushrod
Founding Member

Joe Rocket AlterEgo jacket and pants. Phoenix fo the Summer.

Helmet: Scorpion is supposed to be a good hat, and is relatively inexpensive. I like them, but they don't fit my melon. Make sure to try on the model you like. Walk around the store for 15 minutes or so, to seee if you get any 'hot spots'.

The hat should almost not fit, and be hard to pull over your ears. The cheeks should be tight enough to almost make you bite the insides of your cheeks.

HTH

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
WTXDreaming
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I'll be checking into that GS500 for sure. How is the GS on normal riding? Does it still feel sporty to you? I don't care about going 150 on some desolate highway or anything like that right now. On the helmet, there's 3 I THINK I have it narrowed down to. The Scorpion EXO-1000, love the built in shades idea, and an Icon Mainframe or Airframe. Anyone have pros/cons on these 3 helmets? Think my wife wants to get me one "normal" and one with a good graphic...don't think I'll be stopping her!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTXDreaming View Post
Thanks guys, I'll be checking into that GS500 for sure. How is the GS on normal riding? Does it still feel sporty to you? I don't care about going 150 on some desolate highway or anything like that right now. On the helmet, there's 3 I THINK I have it narrowed down to. The Scorpion EXO-1000, love the built in shades idea, and an Icon Mainframe or Airframe. Anyone have pros/cons on these 3 helmets? Think my wife wants to get me one "normal" and one with a good graphic...don't think I'll be stopping her!
The GS500 has a very upright seating position (which is good) and is very close to the GSX650F in that respect.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
The Scorpion EXO-1000, love the built in shades idea, and an Icon Mainframe or Airframe. Anyone have pros/cons on these 3 helmets?
The EXO-1000 is my next helmet. Probably in a solid colour, and I'll customize it myself. Seriously. Fits my mis-shapen noggin' fairly well, is well-constructed, and I love the built-in shade. Of a note: I haven't yet found anyone selling one at a brick-and-mortar store that is any-more expensive than the online guys, after shipping.

The Icon Mainframe "Scorpion" is my current helmet. I've had it since Feb '04, and if it weren't for the fact that "it's time" to replace it, and that the funk emanating from it is so foul that people refuse to ride behind me anymore, I'd continue wearing it 'til eternity. VERY comfy, good build-quality, acceptable ventilation.

My only nigglin' gripe is with the front chinbar-vent - after a few thousand miles, it would no-longer stay open. It uses friction to keep it on one position or another, and eventually that wears enough that wind just keeps it closed. However, there are two adjustable, twist-open side-vents in the chinbar that, coupled with the crack-open feature of the shield provide more than adequate airflow to your face in summer.

There ARE some noise-issues with the visor opened to the first notch, it's not so much a roar, rather it's like voices chattering in the back of your head. Sometimes I could even almost make out what they said..... something like "ooofoooriiit" and "eeeliessssshaaarefuuuuunnnn" or even "iiiilllleerraaaandbuuuuuuriiiiteboooodiiiiiii" or something like that.

Prior to that I used a KBC........ something or other. It's gone now. Fit was...... OK..... venting..... Alright; I didn't have it long-enough to know, MmmmKay? Step off me.

Prior to THAT, I had an AGV R1. Looked really pretty, fit and finish were impeccable, comfort and fit were abysmal. Designed for a "round head", and obviously I wasn't. Ventilation was nonexistant. I still have it, eventually it will become a lamp.

Before that I was either too stupid to wear one, or I used this bass-boat-metal-flake-copper open-faced Bell (IIRC) with a smoke faceshield.

Prior to any of those, I was just dropped on my face occasionally.

Oh - and what pushrod sez about fitment: follow it to the letter, with a few addendums: after you've got the lid on and buckled-up; grab the chinbar and sort of "twist" it side-to side on your head - it should not slide or "spin around" your face/head, but should pretty-much pull your head with it. Then, grasp the very back of it next to your spine, and attempt to "pull off" the helmet over your face, as if you were taking off a turtleneck sweater - it should remain firm, and unable to slide or move-forward on your skull.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 02-17-2009 at 05:07 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #17
pdad13
Founding Member

A word on the GSXF 650: It's in roughly the same class as the SV 650/Gladius and the Ninja 650R/ER-6N/Versys but has an inline-four engine as opposed to a twin. It makes a bit more top-end power but it's supposed to be tuned to be rider-friendly. It's probably more of a second bike than a starter, but it's not out of the question for a new rider. I think you'd probably be better off with a GS500 to start with; it'll be cheaper, too.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post
A word on the GSXF 650: It's in roughly the same class as the SV 650/Gladius and the Ninja 650R/ER-6N/Versys but has an inline-four engine as opposed to a twin. It makes a bit more top-end power but it's supposed to be tuned to be rider-friendly. It's probably more of a second bike than a starter, but it's not out of the question for a new rider. I think you'd probably be better off with a GS500 to start with; it'll be cheaper, too.
And there are more GS500 floating around used that you can get on the cheap.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
WTXDreaming
Registered Member

Here's the latest hiccup....There's no local Scorpion dealer for me to go try on a helmet. Going to check and see if someone has them but isn't an official dealer, but I'm kind of doubting it. So, what would be a good way to get the actual correct size since that's the one that I want?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default None

Quote:
Here's the latest hiccup....There's no local Scorpion dealer for me to go try on a helmet. Going to check and see if someone has them but isn't an official dealer, but I'm kind of doubting it. So, what would be a good way to get the actual correct size since that's the one that I want?
None. There is no way to get the actual or "correct" size, since all helmets have different head shapes. I would strongly urge you to find a dealer and try one on. If there are no Scorpion dealers nearby, then buy the best fitting helmet you can find.

For my head, Shoei and Arai didn't fit. KBC helmets fit pretty well. Just a couple of months ago, I was trying on a new KBC helmet and it didn't fit at all like my current helmet. Helmets are like shoe models - you've gotta find the right one.