Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
dewdlebug
Registered Member

Default Modifications

I'm pretty much set on purchasing a Bonneville. Probably a T100 model since having a tachometer is a personal preference and the difference in price in adding one to a lower model is kind of negligible.

Here's what I'm thinking of getting done:

* Exhaust. Something not too quiet but not too loud with some performance boost
* Frame sliders
* Lockable gas cover
* HID lights

I got most of my post-MSF course road experience from riding my cousin's bikes [2007 ZX-6 and 2007 YZF-R6, even a 2008 ZX-10 for a few miles but that ZX-10 was way too much power for me]. My question was that while I know why those bikes had tank protectors, should I get one on a Bonneville too?

Also, should I bother with getting the slide cover underneath?

What else should I try to get done? And how would that benefit me?

Since I most of my gear already [just need shoes now], how could I approach the negotiating process to try and include some of the mods, or some sort of discount of some sort? This is a bike I'm planning to get from a dealer. I'll more than likely purchase items like a cover and disc lock from an online retailer than from the dealer too.
dewdlebug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Wow. Where to start!?

OK. First, welcome to the site! And kudos in your choice of brand!

Let's see. Exhaust. Get the Triumph Offroad (TOR) pipes. Or, if you are at all handy, drill/punch the baffles out of the stock pipes. If you buy a T100 that is not FI (and I don't recall if the '09 T100 is; all the other Bonnies are), you will need to rejet the carbs.

Frame sliders. They are called 'crash bars'. Triumph sells them as an accessory, I believe.

Lockable gas cap. Also available as an accessory.

HIDs. I'd avoid those. A lot of electrical issues, and you'll most likely just p*ss someone off with them. Stock headlight is fine.

Slide cover? If you mean a skid plate, it depends on whether you fancy yourself as a stunt pilot. If you are going to ride it on paved roads, you should not need one. Even on NYC paved roads.

The best performance mod you could do to the T100 is to get the Thruxton. I'm afraid that after riding the sportbikes you mention, the T100 is going to be a little too tame for you.

Heck, another grand or two, and you could buy a new outyear Speed Triple!

Make sure you shop around. Triumph dealerships tend not to have too much inventory, and will try to sell you what they have sitting there.

Whatever you do, good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
HIDs. I'd avoid those. A lot of electrical issues, and you'll most likely just p*ss someone off with them.
I disagree, at least in part. There are no electrical issues, although the wiring for HIDs is a bit of a pain because you need to mount the ballasts somewhere a few feet away from the lights (say under the seat). Also, if the headlight has a good lens, so the cutoff between the lit and not-lit areas is well-defined, then the HIDs won't bother other drivers. If the lens is crappy then I do agree, don't use HIDs in the headlight.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
dewdlebug
Registered Member

Quote:
The best performance mod you could do to the T100 is to get the Thruxton. I'm afraid that after riding the sportbikes you mention, the T100 is going to be a little too tame for you.

Heck, another grand or two, and you could buy a new outyear Speed Triple!
I should have noted that this will be my first bike to own and that I consider myself to still be quite a new rider. I've only ridden about 400-500 miles, so it's not much but the learning curb got quite a spike riding those supersports. The main reason I decided to go with a modern classic like a Bonne is for my own safety. On a sport, I might get too tempted to uncork and rip off the throttle knowing that the bike was made to do such things.

The ZX-6 that I rode had the HID modifications on its headlights. It gave me a little sense of safety knowing that motorists should be able to see that bright light.

And thank you for the replies and feedback so far.
dewdlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdlebug View Post
I should have noted that this will be my first bike to own and that I consider myself to still be quite a new rider. I've only ridden about 400-500 miles,
Ditto the "nice choice." If you can plant your feet when stopping, and if the bike doesn't feel heavy to you (it shouldn't) I'd say you found a great bike you'll enjoy for years.

Take your time on accessories unless you are financing them with the bike. What seems really appealing at first may seem less urgent later. Maybe a set of saddlebags versus HID lights...I don't know...and you won't either for a while.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

My 02. Buy it and ride it stock for at least 6 months. Your idea of what you want, or need, may change drastically, including not wanting the bike and getting a different one. Saddlebags are fine, but leave the rest stock.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
My 02. Buy it and ride it stock for at least 6 months. Your idea of what you want, or need, may change drastically, including not wanting the bike and getting a different one. Saddlebags are fine, but leave the rest stock.

I agree.

So my message was too short. This is just filler.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I on the six month plan too. In the six months you wait to buy stuff you'll get exposed to all different kinds of mods available for your bike.

Or you might decide that you want something totally different.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Try "newbonneville.com", tons of neat stuff for Bonnies and Thruxtons. I had an '05 T100 and really enjoyed it, great fun bikes. I did a Hagon shock and fork spring upgrade and it really tightened up the handling, a set of TOR's, rejet and a Norman Hyde Bellmouth intake (psuedo) velocity stack wake the motor up pretty good. Stay away from stuff like pod filters and drilling/removing the airbox, you'll play hell gettting to run right afterwords. All in all and excellent fun bike, Good choice!

If you're going with the Bonnie you'll need a pair of Doc Marten's or Grinders even though they're made in china now, or Wallabee's to really look the part.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
newagetwotone
Registered Member

No bosshoss?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote