Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #21
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
He didn't listen to me either..you don't see me in a snit do yeah??...

I gave sound advice based on my own personal experience with THE EXACT SAME BIKE, I spelled out what to do, where to get the parts and what mods to avoid and did I get any thanks????NOOOOO, all we get is LR says so so that's what we should do. Well if the little turd burglar wants to listen to him then fine, you hear me? FINE....

c'mon Ken lets go see if ser'zawa has any booze we can mooch....

Hey, what about me!?

I put up the first, very well composed and informative post, and what do I get!?

Zip!

How 'bout we all go to Cuddy's and get some of HIS hootch!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdlebug View Post
And I thank you for that. Bookmarked the site for future references.

After reading through the replies, I will more than likely go with the crash bars/frame sliders and changing the stock gas cap to a lockable one. I would still prefer to try and get brighter lights so I'll look for lesser expensive alternatives to HID, if possible. I do intend to finance the bike from a dealer, hence the initial thinking of getting the exhaust system modded. Thanks to the lesser expensive options at newbonneville.com I'll now go with a ride and feel method rather than tossing an additional $1k+ on the financing upfront.

I also read on a couple other sites that the Bonne's could use some tweaking on the suspension and steering, but being as I'm practically clueless with bikes at the moment it's something that I just didn't feel too comfortable to make blind adjustments on just for the sake of doing it.

Good call on the shoes. I was having a rough time trying to find that blend of cool bike riding kicks [that's not just zipper only] yet cool still wear into a corporate office [leather bottoms aren't that good on the road]. Zappos had some good selections.

The Hagon gas shocks are good quality, add a set of their progressive wound forks springs and go to 15 or 20wt. fork oil and the bike stiffens right up. Ditto on Zappos, I get my shoes there. I just got a pair of Wallabees to replace my Desert Treks, excellent selection and price.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
He didn't listen to me either..you don't see me in a snit do yeah??...

I gave sound advice based on my own personal experience with THE EXACT SAME BIKE, I spelled out what to do, where to get the parts and what mods to avoid and did I get any thanks????NOOOOO, all we get is LR says so so that's what we should do. Well if the little turd burglar wants to listen to him then fine, you hear me? FINE....

c'mon Ken lets go see if ser'zawa has any booze we can mooch....
I think I have a bottle of Bushmills around here somewhere.....
Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #24
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdlebug View Post
After reading through the replies, I will more than likely go with the crash bars/frame sliders and changing the stock gas cap to a lockable one. I would still prefer to try and get brighter lights so I'll look for lesser expensive alternatives to HID, if possible.
Were you really looking for advice or just looking for someone to validate your predetermined decisions? (see original post)
Old 02-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Were you really looking for advice or just looking for someone to validate your predetermined decisions? (see original post)
NOW IS THE TIME ON SPROCKETS WHEN WE DANCE!

The Secret Elite Club never dances.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
dewdlebug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket
Actually seeking others opinions. More along if they were to purchase the same bike, how do they plan on setting it up?

I'm pretty intent on having sliders/crash bars because for the first 100 miles of road riding with the ZX-6 and R6, I dropped the bikes 3x total - luckily, I didn't drop a bike since then. Thankfully both were equipped with sliders and it was something I made a note to myself to include when I planned to purchase a bike of my own.

I liked having the brighter light for the increased brightness it allows me to scan farther ahead on roads that's not as brightly lit by streetlights and the added presence it helps give off to other motorists.

As for the gas cap. The stock version isn't lockable. Since I plan to be street parking quite a bit, I don't trust leaving the bike on the street with a cap that's easily accessible.

There were other things that I kind of wanted to have done early on [like changing around the tail lights, for cosmetic purposes] and some things were thought off after talking with others to consider [like exhaust changes].

I've been at a dealer asking the staff what they'd do. One mentioned to change the handlebars because he'd prefer to have something a little lower. Another mentioned to get a different set of mirrors that's more aligned with the handlebars. I thought those ideas were interesting but I really wouldn't know what my preferences would be until I actually put some mileage on the bike itself to get a better feel for it.

Most of the folks I've spoken with, dealer staff and friends that ride, have expressed about modding the exhaust system off the bat. That's why I considered to do it as well, but now after seeing more after market options, I will take a hold and see approach on how it works out. Also gives me a chance to look and ask others around more before committing an expense to it.

One thing I'm unsure right now is considering on getting a tank protector. Riding the sportbikes made sense because of the body posture to the bike, but not sure [and don't think] riding a Bonnie would be as tight. Granted, the protector isn't that costly, but it's still an expense and something that doesn't need to be spent if it's something I really wouldn't need.

I did want to get saddlebags initially too. Triumph's brand of bags are pretty damn costly. I saw some at the motorcycle convention in NYC last month, but most felt like they were pretty small. As awesome as leather bags would be, I just don't know how secure they are if the bike's parked out in public with minimal view on it - I don't know if there are any available that's lockable by key and sizeable enough to actually hold things of size. So, like the exhaust, it's something that's on hold. For now.
dewdlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

For saddlebags, go to Twisted Throttle and check out the Givis and other hard bags that might fit.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote