Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   my bike search: part deux (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/10494-my-bike-search-part-deux.html)

veruvius 01-25-2009 07:58 PM

my bike search: part deux

Hey everybody!

So I'm ready to buy a bike, and I've been trawling craigslist and ebay for potential winners.

I've actually come across a couple '72 and '73 Triumphs (and even a '78 Moto Guzzi!). As much as I love these bikes, I assume there would be too many potential technical problems for me to deal with a first bike. Am I off base here?

Most of the listings here are sport bikes and harley's. I've seen a few potential winners here and there. I found a '95 Nighthawk that looks like a winner for 2k, but I'm waffling a little on the style, and it'll be hard to get to to check out. I found an '05 Honda 919, but the displacement seems too big, and I read its not great for freeway riding.

Is it so much to find a bike that looks cool, is fun, and is good for long trips, while still being reasonably priced? Well, I guess when I put it that way, maybe it is :p Guess I'll just have to keep looking obsessively...

sachiwilson 01-25-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veruvius (Post 202409)
I've actually come across a couple '72 and '73 Triumphs (and even a '78 Moto Guzzi!). As much as I love these bikes, I assume there would be too many potential technical problems for me to deal with a first bike. Am I off base here?

With the Triumphs, yes. The Guzzi could be suitable if you have a good dealer nearby. Which one is it? T-3? California?

Quote:

Most of the listings here are sport bikes and harley's. I've seen a few potential winners here and there. I found a '95 Nighthawk that looks like a winner for 2k, but I'm waffling a little on the style, and it'll be hard to get to to check out. I found an '05 Honda 919, but the displacement seems too big, and I read its not great for freeway riding.
I have a 599, the smaller version of the 919, and I've done three Iron Butt rides on it, as well as several other 800-900 mile rides. It would do just fine on a freeway. Still, that's not an appropriate bike for a beginner. The Nighthawk may be all right.

Quote:

Is it so much to find a bike that looks cool, is fun, and is good for long trips, while still being reasonably priced? Well, I guess when I put it that way, maybe it is :p Guess I'll just have to keep looking obsessively...
Good luck!

longride 01-26-2009 04:26 AM

"I've actually come across a couple '72 and '73 Triumphs (and even a '78 Moto Guzzi!)"

Get one of those above if you like long trips to the dealer. Get a modern bike if you just want to ride it.

sarnali2 01-26-2009 07:55 AM

The modern Hinkley built Triumph Bonnevilles are fabulous bikes, either the T100 or Bonnie Black would be a good choice. New they're reasonably priced and used prices are going to be good. Find an unmolested one or at the most one that's been re-jetted and has Triumph Offroad Pipes or TOR's. They are very sensitive to intake mods so anything past that like creative airbox drilling or pod filters is a no-go. other than that they're an excellent fun and forgiving bike.

Kenneth_Moore 01-26-2009 08:02 AM

Ditto LR's comments. You have enough stuff to learn, buy, and sort out on your first bike to consider taking on a classic. Make the old Triumph your third or fourth bike, in the meantime, find a modern bike in your price range that you find comfortable, fits your style, and isn't a 4 cylinder with over 500ccs.

I really like this website, just add the "h" at the front of the link below and cut and paste it in your browser (direct links on this site don't work well for some reason). It has an excellent summary of great starter bikes of all varieties.

ttp://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/MotorcycleIntroA.html

veruvius 01-26-2009 08:42 PM

the Guzzi is an 850T. I figured the 919 would be a bad idea. I emailed the seller asking for advice, and I got a 1 sentence answer in caps lock. Not someone to trust.

I keep leaning to a cafe racer style bike, but I can't afford a new one (or at least there are none available in my price range around here). I'm aware that prices get bumped up for the riding season, but is there are general rule as to when that happens? I don't want to wait too long, but I am also very cautious with spending, and I want something that will put a smile on my face.

Kenneth_Moore 01-27-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veruvius (Post 202513)
the Guzzi is an 850T. I figured the 919 would be a bad idea. I emailed the seller asking for advice, and I got a 1 sentence answer in caps lock. Not someone to trust.

HI I'M BILLY MAYS AND I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M SHOUTING! TODAY I'M SHOUTING ABOUT MOTO GUZZI! MOTO GUZZI HAS ALL THE HISTORY, PRESTIGE, AND 80 YEAR OLD ENGINE DESIGN YOU'D FIND WITH "BRAND HD" BUT WITHOUT PARTS OR SUPPORT. IF YOU ORDER YOUR MOTOGUZZI STARTER KIT TODAY, I'LL INCLUDE THREE SHAM WOWS TO HELP YOU KEEP YOUR BIKE CLEAN AND MINTY FRESH! I HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW TO FIND OUT HOW I CAN STOP SHOUTING, BUT BEFORE I GO, HERE'S MY SPECIAL OFFER: IF YOU ORDER BEFORE MIDNIGHT TONIGHT WE'LL DOUBLE YOUR ORDER WITH TWO MOTO GUZZIS AND SIX SHAM WOWS! ORDER NOW!!!!

sarnali2 01-27-2009 07:09 AM

When I read that I could hear it in Billy Mays voice.....Between him and ol' Sham Wow Vince I think I'm turning gay

The_AirHawk 01-27-2009 09:32 AM

You DID know Billy Mays is my Uncle, right? I look just like him, sans the Beard and Goatee..............

longride 01-27-2009 09:38 AM

I was picturing you as a young Michael Douglass on acid.....