Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #31
sachiwilson

Who CARES if someone else has a cruiser? Or even many someone elses? Ride what YOU want!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #32
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruvius View Post
Well he still has the bike. I'll probably go check it out this weekend.

Matt, that last post is why I'm here. I'd certainly never have known that otherwise. Any advice for what to look for to see if it was wrecked?

I've read that the GS500 will be plenty quick, but will it really be comfortable on a highway?
I also owned a C4 Corvette; the GS500 was a little bit faster. It's pretty comfortable on the highway for me, though the stock seat can be bad after about 2 hours. The naked version would have less wind protection. However, the GS500 doesn't really seem to get blown around on the highway.

Check for scratches on the frame and engine cases, and make sure the forks and swingarm aren't bent. The wheel should be pointed dead ahead when the handlebars are even.

And I've gone on group rides with cruiser owners before...
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #33
veruvius
Registered Member

Thoughts on a '99 Triumph T-bird? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___1999-TRIUMPH-THUNDERBIRD-885-TRIPLE-NAKED-STANDARD-BIKE_W0QQitemZ350161545976QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2 283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item3501 61545976&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317| 65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

It's no where near me, but it's cheap enough to that getting to it would be worth it. It has really high miles and a lot of corrosion, but it's the only bike I've seen in my price range so far that's actually gotten me excited.
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #34
12er
Founding Member

That Tbird is a little large in the displacement but they werent known to be barn burners. The YZf600r is one of the easiest 600 sport bikes to ride. Since it hasnt changed since 97 its almost a fully fared standard more than full on sport now. It would be the only sport bike I'd half heartedly recommend to a new rider. Still stick with a naked if you can for the first one. Less to scratch / break if you drop it. If your tall enough look out for a KLR 650, they get up to freeway speeds quickly and offer decent wind protection and a ton of after market support and are cheap used. Remember this is just your "first bike" hopefully not your last. As with first cars they are not normally your dream car, generally beat up old pos's that get you where you need to go most of the time.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #35
veruvius
Registered Member

So in my original thread, someone mentioned getting a Suzuki Bandit 1200. One of the local motorcycle shops around my home has just gotten in a 2002 that is right in my range. Apparently the old owner was modded it for the street fighter look, but never stunted or raced it (the salesman knows the guy personally). I'm still worried it's too much bike, but I'll get to check it out first hand this weekend. I've heard of throttle limiters, would that work? Whatever I get will only be taken out on mostly unused backroads until I get comfortable, but instead of cars, there are plenty of trees...
Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #36
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Your right hand is the throttle limiter. A 1200 Bandit is a lot of bike to learn on. It's doable but you need to excersize some restraint. On the plus side a Bandit is a nice handling torquey bike that can play nice or kick ass depending on your right hand, just be easy on it and you should do OK.. ...

If you go that route find a stock one, they're out there and a much better deal than one that's been mod'd. As a general rule you want to take the "previous owner was a friend-never raced or stunted" line as a load of codswallop

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #37
veruvius
Registered Member

SO... I ended up getting the Bandit. Outside of the exhaust, it had only been cosmetically modded, and the price was great. The dealership got it in as a trade in from a long-time customer for a new Hayabusa, and they took unfavorable terms on it to make it happen, so I benefited.

It's not ideal, of course, because I didn't want to go above 600cc. But I rode it around, and while it clearly was very powerful, careful throttle use felt fine at low speeds. And most importantly, it had already been checked out, and it was near my parents' place, so I didn't have to worry about how to get it there.

Like I said before, any bike I wanted would only be taken around local farm roads at first anyway, so I plan on doing this methodically, and more importantly, safely. I didn't speed for my first year of driving, and I have more respect for motorcycles than cars. Thanks for all the help. Next up comes gear, and updates on my learning on a 1200!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
SO... I ended up getting the Bandit. Outside of the exhaust, it had only been cosmetically modded, and the price was great. The dealership got it in as a trade in from a long-time customer for a new Hayabusa, and they took unfavorable terms on it to make it happen, so I benefited.

It's not ideal, of course, because I didn't want to go above 600cc. But I rode it around, and while it clearly was very powerful, careful throttle use felt fine at low speeds. And most importantly, it had already been checked out, and it was near my parents' place, so I didn't have to worry about how to get it there.

Like I said before, any bike I wanted would only be taken around local farm roads at first anyway, so I plan on doing this methodically, and more importantly, safely. I didn't speed for my first year of driving, and I have more respect for motorcycles than cars. Thanks for all the help. Next up comes gear, and updates on my learning on a 1200!
On the plus side the 1200 Bandit is one of the most reliable bikes around with a nearly unbreakable motor. Just be very careful with that throttle because that bike like, any large displacement modern I-4, is wickedly fast and will get you in trouble much more quickly than you may realize. It's common on those bikes to be tooling along and feel like you're just cruising and then look at the speedo and see you are doing 90.

Get the gear pronto and do the MSF course ASAP.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #39
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
SO... I ended up getting the Bandit. Outside of the exhaust, it had only been cosmetically modded, and the price was great.
Now we'll be expecting pics, you know?