Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruvius View Post
I looked into the bandit, and let's just say the reply i got was not very inspiring.

Are YZF600's any better than FZ6's? plenty of those around.

Guess it'll come down to the next SV or nighthawk that comes into my range. btw, what's the difference between the nighthawk and a hawkGT?
HawkGT - think "Ducati Monster" before ever there was such a beastie.

Here's a typical example of the breed:

This particular bike has a Corbin "Gunfighter" saddle and (I believe) a Supertrapp exhaust.

The only REAL downside to owning a HawkGT is the short range - most of what appears to be a fuel tank is taken up by airbox. Typically, you can only get about 115-125 miles from a tank, with another 10-12 in Reserve.

There ARE "fixes" for that, ranging from Beautiful to Ugly, Expensive to Low-Buck. Small tank does NOT keep you from riding it across the USA (I and many others have done this too many times to count) - it just makes one a Master of Trip Planning and Fuel Conservation............

The HawkGT is the bike that made Two Brothers Racing Famous. Really.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 01-31-2009 at 11:57 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #22
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Quote:
Hah, I was wondering if this post had gotten to the point of no return

I can't seem to find a naked standard from within the last 20 years in the price that i need. However, I'm seeing a lot of "upright" sport bikes, aka YZF600's, a FZ6, and a few SV's/Bandits. These are all reasonable, right?

As of right now, i can find a yzf600r and a bandit (both from the 2000's) for about $2.5k.
How's the market for GS500s in your area? If your favorite style is "naked standard," this sounds like it would be a great bike for you. It's a little faster than a C4 Corvette in a straight line (I used to have a Corvette as well as my GS500) but it's not something that's likely to accidentally wheelie or otherwise bite you for making newbie mistakes. It's going to be a lot more forgiving than an FZ6, and they can be pretty reliable. Mine's only needed a new battery and a couple oil changes in 10,000 miles. The one thing that may be an issue for you is that I've noticed the seat gets a bit uncomfortable after riding it for about two hours. The naked version has a better selection of aftermarket seats than the GS500F I have, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to remedy that.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #23
veruvius
Registered Member

I've found one: 2005 GS500E

don't like the decal on it, but i suppose that can be removed. if I replace the seat, will it really be good for highway riding? I will definitely be taking a long distance trip later this year. the price is definitely right, though...

how about a honda 599? haven't actually seen one for sale, but the realtor who works across the street from me has one, and it's sweet looking.

I went and visited a ducati/triumph dealer for kicks, and the guy recommended the street triple #1, and even a gt1000 with reservations. not like I have the money, but still...
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #24
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Well the guy at the dealership is an idiot.

The 599 is way too much too, infact its not much less then the 919 in power. If you like naked bikes the Triumph Bonnie/scrambler/Thruxton or like the SV650. No more than two cylinders is a pretty decent guideline.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:

don't like the decal on it, but i suppose that can be removed. if I replace the seat, will it really be good for highway riding? I will definitely be taking a long distance trip later this year. the price is definitely right, though...

how about a honda 599? haven't actually seen one for sale, but the realtor who works across the street from me has one, and it's sweet looking.

I went and visited a ducati/triumph dealer for kicks, and the guy recommended the street triple #1, and even a gt1000 with reservations. not like I have the money, but still...
If it's not clearcoated-on, the decal is easily removed with a hair dryer and some goo-gone or WD-40 for any residual adhesive.

Looks like a fairly good deal, especially if you can check it out first. I'd choose this over a 599 or a Street3 for now, were I you.

If you don't like the seat, I think Corbin makes one for the GS500E

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Suzuki GS 500 E | 800-538-7035

That, or find a local upholstery shop that can shape the stock seat to YOUR bum - will probably be cheaper, DEFINITELY will be lighter (Corbin uses a very heavy fibreglass for its seat pans).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:

Another fine example of crappy salesmen at motorcycle dealerships.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #27
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Think we could sue sales men who push people out the door with liter bikes as their first?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #28
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

The decals on a GS500 can be removed with a heat gun and some Goo Gone.

There's one thing that worries me about that ad. In 2005, a US market GS500 would have been an F, not an E. No, I'm not nitpicking the guy's naming: That looks distinctly like an F (fairing) model that's been converted to an E (naked), and one good reason someone might have done that would have been if you wreck an F, the plastic is pretty expensive to replace. It's possible the owner just liked the look of the E model or that it's a gray market specimen, but be careful.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #29
veruvius
Registered Member

Well he still has the bike. I'll probably go check it out this weekend.

Matt, that last post is why I'm here. I'd certainly never have known that otherwise. Any advice for what to look for to see if it was wrecked?

I've read that the GS500 will be plenty quick, but will it really be comfortable on a highway?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #30
veruvius
Registered Member

Part of the problem is I'm not even sure what I want. I like the standards that have been suggested, but I really like the look (if not the ride) of Triumphs, and I plan on going for a ride with buddies who have cruisers. Not exactly the place for a sport bike!