Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
korie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I was picturing you as a young Michael Douglass on acid.....

do you mean like Michael Douglas in the movie "Falling Down"? great movie, too.
korie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Sham-Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
When I read that I could hear it in Billy Mays voice.....Between him and ol' Sham Wow Vince I think I'm turning gay
You know you want one of those fuzzy microphone headsets. ;o)
Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

D-FENS Biotch!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Veruvius said:

So I'm ready to buy a bike, and I've been trawling craigslist and ebay for potential winners.

Go for it, but don't rush. The bike, and deal, for you will appear. You'll know when you find it.

I've actually come across a couple '72 and '73 Triumphs (and even a '78 Moto Guzzi!).

I'd recommend staying away from maintenance hogs for a first bike. As others have said, you have too many things to learn and concentrate on without having to worry about maintenance minutiae.

I found a '95 Nighthawk that looks like a winner for 2k, but I'm waffling a little on the style

My vote is for the Nighthawk. They are stone reliable (usually). Remember, your first bike is NOT the bike you'll keep forever... just the bike you willing to pay the least for to drop it (trust me, you will).

I found an '05 Honda 919, but the displacement seems too big, and I read its not great for freeway riding.

Way too much power for a first bike.

Is it so much to find a bike that looks cool, is fun, and is good for long trips, while still being reasonably priced?

Yes it is, but good luck.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
veruvius
Registered Member

Hah, I was wondering if this post had gotten to the point of no return

I can't seem to find a naked standard from within the last 20 years in the price that i need. However, I'm seeing a lot of "upright" sport bikes, aka YZF600's, a FZ6, and a few SV's/Bandits. These are all reasonable, right?

As of right now, i can find a yzf600r and a bandit (both from the 2000's) for about $2.5k.
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Of those, the bandit would be your better choice.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #17
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruvius View Post
... I'm seeing a lot of "upright" sport bikes, aka YZF600's, a FZ6, and a few SV's/Bandits. These are all reasonable, right?

As of right now, i can find a yzf600r and a bandit (both from the 2000's) for about $2.5k.
I agree with Sachi, that the Bandit would be the better bike. That is assuming, of course, that it is a Bandit 600 and NOT the 1200cc model.

Many reviews I have read (I've never ridden one) say that the FZ-6 is peaky, buzzy, and has a touchy clutch with a small friction zone. This might not make it the best learner bike.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I agree with Sachi, that the Bandit would be the better bike. That is assuming, of course, that it is a Bandit 600 and NOT the 1200cc model.

Many reviews I have read (I've never ridden one) say that the FZ-6 is peaky, buzzy, and has a touchy clutch with a small friction zone. This might not make it the best learner bike.
Less peaky than probably any 600cc crotch-rocket out there, no matter the brand. But, it IS still a 600cc I-4. I get a buzz in the footpegs between ~5500 and ~6200 rpm, once you learn to ride around it you don't even notice it. The clutch - yeah, it does have this incredibly-narrow friction zone. I adjusted it so it engages where I need it - and have given Dealers an earful after the tech twiddled with it after I specifically sad NOT TO TOUCH THE MUTHAF'R! the 3 or 4 times I've had it in someone-else's hands (inspections, a recall, etc.). No, the FZ-6 is not a good beginner bike. Better than an R6, but still not good for the first-timer.

Myself, I'm partial to HawkGT's. There are lots of unmolested/mildly modified examples out there for sale, generally under $3000. Far less if it needs any mechanical work. About the only thing getting hard to come by are Fuel Tanks - with the exception of a few key Hawk-specific items, most every bit of it is "parts bin". There are also several mechanics scattered across the US that specialize in these bikes, because they're very popular with racers still (one even won at Daytona this last Fall - beating a pack of SVs and a couple of Duc 800SS').

My other fav for a "grow into me" bike is the Suzuki SV (another bike racers seem to love, with probably support equal or better than the HawkGT). The 2nd-gen is supposed to be a better bike, mainly due to the better suspension - but I like the looks of the 1st-gen better.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
veruvius
Registered Member

I looked into the bandit, and let's just say the reply i got was not very inspiring.

Are YZF600's any better than FZ6's? plenty of those around.

Guess it'll come down to the next SV or nighthawk that comes into my range. btw, what's the difference between the nighthawk and a hawkGT?
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #20
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruvius View Post
...btw, what's the difference between the nighthawk and a hawkGT?
Honda Hawk 650 = 647cc v-twin, older, instant cool (those who know)
Honda Nighthawk 750 = 747cc inline-4, newer, better for touring

Don't give up hope on a used SV650. Remember, don't fight it. The right bike will become available at the right time, young Skywalker.