Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New Rider needs help (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/10463-new-rider-needs-help.html)

damhandstand 01-22-2009 11:34 AM

New Rider needs help

I am a college student at the university of Texas. This summer both me and my girlfriend are planning on getting our motorcycle licenses. She goes to texas state so though it won't be a long drive, i will be driving back and forth alot. We also want to take a trip to California sometime after we get our licenses.
Neither of us have ever owned a bike. What kind of bike would you suggest me looking into buying. I need one that could seat two, but at the same time be fine for a lone driver.
Needless to say, we don't have alot of cash, so a brand new BMW is most likely out of the picture. But at the same time, i don't want to buy a POS bike.

Thanks for your input.

seruzawa 01-22-2009 11:55 AM

First off read the sticky threads in the new rider section. Start small and get something larger after you climb up the learning curve. You'll know better what will work for you then.

Personally it sounds like a Bandit1200 would be perfect for your needs... but only after you get plenty of experience on a good learners bike.

Kenneth_Moore 01-22-2009 12:10 PM

12er 01-22-2009 12:11 PM

Or an older bandit 600, but even that may be a handful to begin with. Buy a beater 500 or smaller and share it until you two are ready to move on. Deals are to be had on older bikes on craigslist. Then after having to work on an older bike you'll even be more prepared for your 2 wheeled life.

Kenneth_Moore 01-22-2009 12:17 PM

Add "h" to the start of the link and paste it in your address bar for an excellent article on 1st bikes.

ttp://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/MotorcycleIntroA.html

pushrod 01-22-2009 01:35 PM

Your first bike will probably be a very poor choice for two-up riding. Very few bikes are worth a dam for that purpose, especially for rides over an hour at a time. You might be okay, but your pillion will be yearning for an alternate means of transportation, or determining where to hide your body.

Two-up riding is best handled by the yachts: Honda GoldWing, Harley FLH, Triumph Rocket IIIT, BMW LT or that gawd-awful looking thing from Victory, the Vision.

A better idea is for the both of you getting bikes. Buy a couple of used SV-650's or Bonnevilles, (or any of several other bikes that can sustain freeway speeds for extended periods) and have a huge time. That way, you'll have a better bike to learn on, and she'll definitely be comfier.

If she is reluctant to learn to ride her own bike, both of you sign up for a MSF course (with bikes provided) and see what she thinks.

Look at the other threads to see what we recommend for gear. You might refer to the movie, 'Vanishing Point' for what she could wear when she's on her bike.

Kenneth_Moore 01-22-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 202133)
Look at the other threads to see what we recommend for gear.

Be sure to get the Roe Rocket Alter Ego Transit Darien Pants. They're fashion forward. And stuff.

seruzawa 01-22-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 202134)
Be sure to get the Roe Rocket Alter Ego Transit Darien Pants. They're fashion forward. And stuff.

Ha! Roe Rocket is new smooth seminar operator. Coming soon take all Klazy Ken customers, you bet. Whole world bet Klazy Ken got no idea Roe Rocket taking over get rich easy business.

Kenneth_Moore 01-22-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 202145)
Ha! Roe Rocket is new smooth seminar operator. Coming soon take all Klazy Ken customers, you bet. Whole world bet Klazy Ken got no idea Roe Rocket taking over get rich easy business.

Klazy Ken never hear of Roe Rocket until other thread guy say he wear his pants. Klazy Ken wear his own pants. Sometimes Klazy Ken wear no pants, he like to feel wind blowing his cheeks when he ride fast.

newagetwotone 01-23-2009 09:01 AM

Three words...

Big A$$ Scooter

one of the Bergmans or the Silverwing should be a good place to look.